Chapter 53: Azazel's Kidnapping

As Levi and Lilith had left, and the magic circle disappeared behind them, Lucy's shackles disappeared. In the instant she was free, Lucy ran to Celestia's side. She could just hear the taunting whispers of the demon twins, and how they cackled in joy.

"Celestia! Wake up!" Lucy cried worriedly. After numerous tries, one of Celestia's eyes slowly opened, but the other was sealed shut. There was a cut rimming along her eyes. Lucy gasped, holding her tears back as she trembled.

"Lucy-Sama...?" Celestia questioned weakly. Blood was still dripping slightly from her face and other parts of her body, but other than that, there only seemed to be a few scrapes. Lucy sighed in relief as she slowly pulled Celestia up.

Lucy's fingers moved, enveloping Celestia with a blue light as she chanted, "Sky Dragon's Healing Spell!" The wounds that covered Celestia's body soon melted away. "Good. Celestia, go home and heal up." Lucy said. A dark shadow casted over her eyes as she held her head up to the sky.

"But, my queen..." Celestia started, but then she saw the faraway look in Lucy's eyes. She hesitated, but then spoke. "Understood." With a flick of her fingers, Celestia disappeared, leaving a fluttering trail of golden dust.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

That evening, Lucy set out to find Azazel, looking in even the most rural area. Even with her enhanced dragon-smelling, she was not able to find him. Teleporting place to place, there was never a sign of him even being there. It was as if he had disappeared completely. It was, of course, entirely possible that Zeref or someone else had placed a barrier to block out any intruders.

But Lucy knew Zeref's type of game. He would never try to hide. Always leaving himself out in the open, he was just taunting her to fight him. But this time, it was unusual. There was not sign of destruction or dark magic, or even Zeref.

"Where are they!?" Lucy hissed, frustrated at her lack of progress. It was already sunrise, the night washed away as the blazing sun crossed against her eyes. Angry, Lucy strutted away to the guild. She would continue her search again that night.

"Welcome, Lucy!" Mira cheered as Lucy walked in. Haggard, Lucy sat down at her usual seat in the bar. "What can I get for you?" Mira questioned, with her usual smile.

Lucy looked up at her, and said nothing. Her eyes, bloodshot from staying up all night, seemed to speak to Mira. In an instant, the pieces clicked together. "Lucy, where's Azazel!?!" Mira frantically asked, waving her arms in worry.

"He..." Lucy whispered, the edges of her eyes starting to water, "He... He was kidnapped." She whispered. Mirajane gasped in horror and surprise, a stony look replacing it soon after.

"By who!?" Mira demanded. Lucy stayed silent. "LUCY! Tell me!" Lucy stared blankly at her, as if she was speaking in a foreign language, one that Lucy didn't know. "Lucy. Tell me, please."

Lucy shivered, and heaved out a choked, "He was kidnapped by...Zeref." Mira gasped again, watching Lucy break down. "If only I was stronger...If only I was stronger, I would've been able to save him..." Lucy cried, tears streaming down her face in agony.