Chapter 23: Monochrome Heart

Little did Natsu know, the both of them, Lucy and Azazel, had transported to a nearby tree, in which they are currently laying under in the shade. And after all of that, who couldn't resist the urge to ask?

Azazel layed under the tree in silence for a while, his arm wrapped around Lucy's waist, her face resting on his chest, where she was peacfully asleep. Several thoughts ran through his head after that "incident" with Natsu back at the arcade.

"Who was that? What does he have to do with Lucy? Is he Lucy's enemy? Is he dangerous to her life? Why does he know Lucy? Why was she crying after she saw him?" He thought, the last question swirling around in his mind," He couldn't be an old lover to Lucy, could he?" Azazel couldn't ask any of these questions until Lucy was awake again. He wanted to ask them, but he didn't want to disturb Lucy's peaceful, quiet sleep, where there is no harm.

"She must have had many nightmares during her sleep...Was he the cause? And what did he mean when he said that she was his family, his nakama?" Azazel's thoughts swirled around his mind several times, and before long he was thrashing about, trying to figure out the words that Natsu had said.

During his thrashing, he didn't notice Lucy begining to open her eyes, indicating that she was just woken up. She yawned, and rubbed her eyes, just like any other person when they wake up.

"Ne, Azazel...?" She asked, half-awake and half-asleep. This facade wasn't enough to mask the pain she witheld inside. She was just a dreaming girl that wanted a family. "When you trust, you must be prepared to be betrayed." Is what she thought when she met new people. But this time she knew she could trust Azazel, without being betrayed.

Said person, Azazel ceased thrashing imediatly. "Huh?" He looked down at Lucy," Oh, Lucy you're awake! Are you okay?"

Lucy nodded," Yeah. I'm okay." She replied quietly. 

"She's definitly not okay." Azazel mentaly thought, inwardly sweatdropping. So he tried a different tactic. Maybe he could ask questions about Natsu to confort her better. People always said that talking about things help your mind process and get over it.

"Ne, Lucy who-" Azazel stopped mid-sentence. This would sound to insincere to Lucy in her current state.

There was a long silence when Azazel stopped talking before Lucy spoke up. "Ne, Azazel you want to know what's going on between me and Natsu, right?"

Azazel nodded. His ears ready and mentaly prepared for the truth.

"Five years ago, I was in a guild called Fairy Tail. I was the only Celestial Mage, but the guild members welcomed me. They were family, my nakama." Lucy began.

"That kid also said something like that, family and nakama..."Azazel thought.

"But one day, a girl believed to be dead came back to the guild. We met and became friends, and at that time, I was on Team Natsu. Natsu and the girl were childhood friends. They hung out, leaving me behind. It was as if I was invisible. A few days after she came back, Natsu kicked me off the team and replaced me with the girl. This girl was Lisanna. She tried to keep me on the team, but failed." Lucy continued speaking as she took Azazel's head and rested it on her lap.

"After I left Team Natsu, the rest of the guild started to treat me like trash," Lucy's eyes had a thick stream of tears dripping out of her eyes, her tears falling on Azazel's face. "They threw beer bottles at me, attacked me with magic, and said horrorble things about me and my family..." Lucy took a deep breath,"And eventually caused me to leave the guild, where I went to Athos, The Valley of Dragon. I was ambushed there and almost died when Mizuko, the water dragon saved me. She took me to meet the other dragons, where one accicentally told me I was the Dragon Queen. I trained with the dragons for two-and-a-half-years until they told me to go to Defloria, where I met you." Lucy concluded through her tears.

Azazel was shocked on the other hand. How much pain did she have to go through until the gods were satisfied?

Lucy's tears kept falling onto Azazel's face, where she cried. "I'm sorry, Azazel. You shouldn't have been dragged into this..."

"No, I think that I would've heard this, even if I wasn't supposed to." Azazel thought, his hand caressing Lucy's face.

"I'm sorry, Azazel...For bringing you into this..." Lucy said, opening her mouth. Quietly, she started to sing:

"The fluttering snowflakes are the stars' shards; reaching your hands into the sky, you can feel our coming-and-going wishes for each other, can't you? Now everything has become shrouded in a shade of monochrome.

The white breaths I softly let out are shaped like the words I wanted to convey. Without a doubt, with just their warmth, the sky has become slightly brighter.

Our encounter, having become your encouragement, is exactly the initiation I wished for. The lonliness of having to stare fixedly at darkness has already come to an end.

When we fold our wings, soaked in sorrow, over each other, they will turn pure white and become our gentle courage, as we wade forward each own's future.

My heart is bursting with excitement as I await the dawn of this secluded world. As soon as I bring my light with me on a journey, a new "tomorrow" will begin within me. The fluttering snowflakes are the star's shards; reaching my hands into the sky, I will always believe in our coming-and-going wishes for each other. Now everything has been shrouded in a shade of monochrome.

Our strong wills are now in motion, reflecting our waxing-and-waning selves. "I will perserve to the end" We smile brightly, with the compass glittering in our eyes.

Defrosting our frozen memories, now together with the love we found, and without looking back, let's sense each other from the sky's two opposite shores.

Each following our own trajectories, even if we would never be able to meet again, we will surely be connected somewhere in this light-brimming galaxy. The dissipating stars, like fine sand, tenderly caress my bosom again. As I quietly fall into a slumber, the afterimages of my dream will be shrouded in a shade of monochrome.

My heart is bursting with excitement as I await the dawn of this secluded world. As soon as I bring my light with me on a journey, a new "tomorrow" will begin within me. The fluttering snowflakes are the stars' shards; reaching my hands into the sky, I will always believe in our coming-and-going wishes for each other. Now everything has been shrouded in a shade of monochrome." Lucy sang, as both of their eyes closed, both of them falling asleep under the peaceful shade of the tree, her tear-streaked face and his filled with the girl's tears, both bringing monochrome into their dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I do NOT own the song. It belongs to Haruka Tomatsu, who sung the actual song! It's from Star Driver. Also, my labtop was glitching so some of the words might me derpy. Thanks for Reading~! <3