July.7.19/In The Spotlight

Shawn's POV

July 7, 2019

Lying on my back on the bench, I stare at the ceiling trying to regain my concentration while following my trainer's instructions through my AirPods. After being cooped up here in the gym for about two hours, I ache absolutely all over, my breathing is almost nonexistent and my face is drenched with sweat that wants to get in my eyes. I let out an exhausted sigh, but it doesn't stop me from lifting the 180-pound metal bar above my head again, and again, and again... until the set is over. While it doesn't compare to what I've gotten to lift before, it's still hard. My arms are shaking.

I complain to Josh, who laughs because I decide to take a break, which doesn't really last long with so much insistence on his part. So I pick up the bar again, secure it in my hands and lift it for a long moment that is abruptly interrupted when a clump of hair sticks out and hits my face, scaring me to death and I almost lose the balance of the weights I'm holding.

God, isn't this girl afraid for her own safety? If I hadn't had my reflexes, I would have fractured us both instantly.

- Everything all right, buddy? - Josh asks worriedly when he hears me mumbling a curse.

- Uh... Yeah, give me a minute, Joshy.

Quickly, I set the bar down and silence the call before sitting up to face Camila, who stares at me with a bright smile adorning her face. I swear that a second ago I was certainly perturbed, not to mention annoyed, by her unexpected appearance, but seeing her so happy this morning is enough to take my mind off the little incident, which she doesn't seem to have noticed at all.

- Señorita... - I smile warmly at her and, of course, a pretty blush tinges her cheeks in response to my comment.

- Shawnie! - She exclaims playfully approaching me about to hug me, but quickly changes her mind. I notice the doubt cross her brown eyes.

Since we are unfortunately in a public space, I don't make an effort to touch her, although right now I feel like kissing those soft lips closed in an adorable pout. And it's not that I agree with this deal she imposed of appearing to remain just friends in the public eye, but I respect her decision to keep our thing a secret until she deems it necessary. In the meantime, I keep telling anyone who asks that nothing is going on between the two of us or I ignore it as best I can.

However, of course I would love to get rid of these ties once and for all. I don't give a damn what they're going to say about us. It's not going to change how much I love her.

- Good morning, Shawn. - She greets me more formally, still inspecting the people behind me, who are more minding their own business.

- Good morning, Mila. Hey, don't get me wrong, but... what brings you here?

- Aren't you glad to see me? - Said and done, Camila folds her arms, looking away very embarrassed.

- Of course I'm glad! I admit it took me by surprise, but you literally just brought light to my terrible Sunday, so I thank you.

- Please... Was it really that terrible until I came along? - She whispers lifting her eyes to mine. I nod winking slyly at her and she tries to stifle a smile without much success. My heart races. - Well, hmm... I hope you don't mind. Few people know I'm here, I just wanted to hang out with you and... I got Andrew to reveal where you'd be since you ignored my messages.

I frown in confusion picking up my phone again where there are indeed a bunch of texts from her, standing out from the rest that I haven't taken the time to read yet.

- Forgive me, I didn't do it on purpose. I was so focused on Josh... And speaking of him, he's waiting for me to continue...

- Oh! Yeah, go ahead, Shawnie. - She shrugs, looking all around, lost, not knowing where to run. - I'd better stay... over there... somewhere, so I don't interrupt you. I'm really sorry.