Nov.4.21/Why You Let Me Go?

(WARNING: Mention of drugs, alcohol, anxiety and possible depression.) 💔

***

Shawn's POV

November 4, 2021

- Welcome back, Mr. Mendes. - My doorman John smiles, immediately helping me push my luggage into the elevator. - Did you have a nice vacation?

- It was... so-so. - I force a smile on my face as I give him a quick hug of thanks. - How have you been? Is your mother over that nasty flu?

- Oh, yeah! We're both just fine now. I'll get one of the guys to fill in for me so we can get away for a weekend outing. - His eyes sparkle, and seeing his genuine happiness makes me feel five percent better.

- You give her my regards, okay?

He nods politely and lets me go, pressing my floor number until I lose sight of him as the doors close, rising and rising as my heart gives very intermittent beats.

I didn't want to walk in my apartment again... but I'm not ready to go to Pickering and face my family yet. I want to be alone for a while, even though I know it's a bad idea.

The elevator doors open, I push my suitcases one by one in three trips down the short hallway, only to leave them lying around anyway when I finally enter the first home I moved into so long ago. And which I then tried to adapt a bit so that... she would feel comfortable here.

I sigh, turning on lights and checking my surroundings as if it's the first time I've seen every single thing, feeling fucking overwhelmed.

Looking at the clock on the wall I realize it's one in the morning. My body screams for a rest quota, but my head says the opposite, leading me to frantically rummage in my backpack for my IPhone charger, to plug it in and send a couple of messages, before collapsing like a sack of potatoes on the couch, with a terrible headache.

To: Mamá Cabello, Princesa Sofía. ~ Shawn here, checking in with my beautiful ladies :) I'm in Toronto finally. I miss u already, love u a lot. Hope u are well. Good night. ~

I totally ignore the other unread text messages, and close my eyes, throwing my phone on the carpet, feeling the worst after the long day I just had.

It looks like the walk of shame!

I left the car back at the rental company, took an Uber to the Airport, where I practically spent the whole afternoon because I had no tickets but for a few days ahead, and had to almost beg at the counter to be put on the next flight out the same day, paying a huge deposit, which will put at least a smile on the employees' faces until Christmas for having helped me escape Miami.

Christmas... I will be alone this time, I think, looking at the corner where my mother usually puts the tree. Where I used to put my gifts for her, where she looked happy, taking pictures to keep those memories that I will miss so much too.

 Where I used to put my gifts for her, where she looked happy, taking pictures to keep those memories that I will miss so much too