May.28.23/We've Been Here Before

Camila's POV

May 28, 2023

- Hey, C, are you ready?! - Marielle shouts from outside the bedroom we share and I quickly respond with a fake "yes".

I stare at the vanity mirror much longer than I'd like to, starting to overthink about everything, wondering why I'm doing things I shouldn't, like... going on another date with the boy who made me cry two days ago.

This time I'm taking my friends again... I don't want to be alone with him. I'm afraid I'm going to collapse.

- Mila! - They shout together, rushing me.

- I'm coming! Jesus...

I grab my small bag from the open luggage on the floor and go to join them, making sure we haven't left anything behind before running to the lobby and detouring to the hotel parking lot to get into the van that was waiting for us.

- Take your time, honey. These streets are crazy. - I order the driver while my friends look at me like I've lost my brain cells. - What?

- He fucked you up big time, huh? - Marielle whispers in my ear, wanting all the tea I haven't told them since our outing to Taylor's concert.

- C, are you sure this isn't going too far? - Sandra asks quietly, trying not to get on my nerves even more.

- Girls, I promise you that... I'm going to take care of this, okay? - I say haltingly, staring straight down the road without blinking, fighting back my tears.

- Ok, but remember that we are here for you. You do know that, don't you? - Sandra searches my eyes for me to take her words to heart, and I nod smiling, letting them both wrap me in their arms. - Sisters for life, CC.

- Please don't make me cry today. - I murmur, chuckling a little.

- We're not the ones doing it lately. - Marielle's bitter words scratch my soul.

- You're always so sweet, gorgeous.

- I'm just saying... - She plays it off, hugging me tighter. - If he hurts you again, I'm sure we'll have words.

- Stay out of it, I beg you.

- Oh, Camila...

During the trip, my friends try to convince me to run away from this, but the one who is going to have words with Shawn is going to be me. It has to be me. We ended that night on a really bad note and... I haven't stopped thinking about it for hours.

I hate it. I hate him. I hate myself.

Damn, I can't have peace of mind at all, what the fuck?

I just wish I could forget about this, forever.

I can't even fake a decent smile when we finally meet up with him, taking a short walk around town, stopping for coffee and listening to him apologize for ditching my friends like that when we'd all gone to the show to have fun.