Sept.11.19/Happy Together

Camila's POV

September 11, 2019

- Kaki, did you break up with Shawn?- My sister asks suddenly, entering my studio without permission and almost scaring me to death, because I expected to be alone for the rest of the day.

I see that it is impossible...

I was so immersed in my recent project that I don't even know how to react to her crude words that I never want to hear again. I stop my activities, turning off my laptop to turn to stare at Sofi. Her face is so critical and cold that it takes me by surprise, with her haughty look, her arms crossed and her feet stamping the ground desperately, ready to fight on behalf of her dear friend if necessary, as if I were to blame for her crazy ideas.

- Well? You won't say anything? - Insists the little brat.

- What do you want me to tell you, don't trust what they say out there? - I pat her shoulder, pulling her closer to me even though she resists my hug. Sofi looks at me with narrowed eyes and I just laugh in her face. - For God's sake, a few days ago I was with him in concert...

- That doesn't count. - She interrupts me rudely.

- Oh, no? And why is that?

- That was work. How do I know you're really still together?

- Because I'm telling you, your dear, honest sister. - Sofi thinks about it for a few seconds and shakes her head in denial. - Okay... what if I swear on our mother's life?

- It's not enough.

- Then call him and have him confirm it if you don't want to believe me, Sofía!

I only had to say that for the brat to smile happily for having caught me in her vile trap, rushing to take the phone away from my reach, looking for my boyfriend's number, who soon answers thinking it's me.

- Hello, mi vida. I was about to call you now, you've beaten me this time. - The volume is loud so I hear him perfectly. I can swear he's smiling wherever he is and my heart flutters wildly.

- Hello, my sister's love. - Sofi laughs, turning as red as a tomato that I'd love to squash one of these days. But the love I have for her prevents me... She's lucky.

- Oh... Sofi! Hi. - Shawn wasn't expecting it and takes his time speaking again. - How are you, princess? Everything all right? Where's Camila?

- She's fine, I'm fine... and you? - As usual, Sofi is moving away from me so I won't interrupt her in her "private" conversation with the man who is supposed to belong to me.

- Me? I'm great, chill, watching... the wonderful view of Mexico City through my window.

- Excuse me, you're where? - I ask in surprise, replacing Sofi who looks at me in clear resentment for not letting her go through with her half-baked plan.

- Oh! Hi, baby. - Hearing his voice so close, even if it's through an earpiece, it makes me all stirred up. - I was just telling your sister that I'm in Mexico.

- And why didn't I know that?

- Because you broke up with him, duh! - Whispers the girl sitting on my desk and I fight to get her down from there.

- Stop bothering me or I'll tell mamá!

- Well she'd like to know too, Kaki.

- Sofía!

- What's going on? - Shawn asks me in confusion and my sister resumes her favorite activity: making my life miserable. I just give up and put the phone on speaker and let her do the talking.