Aug.6.21/Believe Me... I Love You

Shawn's POV

August 6, 2021

I want to be swallowed by the earth... or the sky to suck me in, in this case, impatient after more than 12 hours of being from airport to airport, from Mallorca to Madrid, and now on my way to my second home. I'm about to start yelling at the flight attendants, who I know perfectly well are not to blame, if I don't land in Miami in the next ten minutes, while the plane hovers waiting for a safe space to open up due to the amount of air traffic over the runway, and giving me a severe headache from the pressure.

At this point in the trajectory we are forbidden to get up from the seats, so I can do nothing but stretch my numb legs and lay my head on the pillow around my neck, wishing for an early birthday miracle, which is to be with my girlfriend as soon as possible.

Please, I want to get out of here already!

The carefree ones just watch the last few minutes of their movies or continue reading their books while I check my phone over and over again, watching the time change until my prayers are answered and the plane touches down. I am one of the first in Business Class to leave with my carry-on luggage, and I stop for a few minutes in the bathroom to disinfect myself a bit before arriving at the immigration border, claiming my luggage and finally crossing one of the emergency exits so people (paparazzi) don't see me.

I discard the mask in a trash can near the door and turn toward the parking lot just as I'm surrounded by a pair of tiny arms I missed a lot. My luggage stamps against the ground carelessly as I cling to her waist, whispering in her ear how much I love her.

- Silly, I was about to leave, you know? - She laughs without letting go of my tight embrace.

I bury my face in her silky hair for a few minutes, feeling at home again. I pull away to see her beautiful chocolate eyes and her thin lips seeking mine in a welcoming kiss.

- Hello, mi amor. You took too long. - She murmurs in an accusatory tone and pouts at me.

- I know...

- You said you would arrive at 3PM and it's almost 5. I even thought something bad happened to you during the trip.

- I'm fine, mi vida. I'm here now. - I hug her again, dissolving her worries.

She accepts my apology and tries to help me carry my heavy bags to her car, but it only gives me one more reason to have fun at her expense, earning me one of her lectures that I've grown accustomed to. I finish packing them in the trunk and climb into the driver's seat, despite her determination to drive me herself.

- I drive faster and I need an urgent shower.

- Ok, as you wish... - She whispers, buckling her seat belt as soon as we leave the airport. - You've got some reddish spots on your face. Did you have too much fun at the party on the yacht? - She comments out of the blue. I can clearly sense her reproach.

- Who told you about a yacht?

- It doesn't matter. - She replies somewhat annoyed, and I can't quite understand why she's like that in the first place.

- What's going on, honey? Why are you upset?

- I'm not upset.

- I don't believe you. - I insist, holding her hand, which she squeezes so tightly as if she wants to take revenge by hurting me.

Camila is silent, turning her face towards the window so as not to look at me, and if I needed another reason for my head to hurt more I got it, and not exactly because I asked for it.