Aug.30.21/Through Thick And Thin (1/2)

Shawn's POV

August 30, 2021

I find the excessive light irritating this morning. I rub my eyes as Sofia laughs at me, after throwing a pillow in my face to suddenly wake me up and tell me I have a call from my annoying sister. I take the phone she leaves in my hands and watch her leave the bedroom, running towards the stairs behind Leo and Eugene.

- Hello, dwarf, what's up? - I mumble, barely with my eyes open, wishing I could go back to the way I was.

- Sleeping so late, lil bro? I told you they were signs of premature old age.

- Don't bother, Aaliyah. - I snort, as I do every time she makes that comment to me every year, and hear her chuckle with satisfaction.

- When are you coming home?

- Why? Do you miss me already?

- Please, of course not... Mum wonders if you'll come one of these days.

- I was already saying that this was really weird... - I tease, reminding her that she hardly ever calls me, or at least not that often.

- Anyway, what should I tell her then, Shawnie?

- I don't know yet, honey. I have to check with...

It's unbelievable that I was about to say my girlfriend's name as if I needed to ask her permission to visit my family.

Everything has become chaos, again. Every time I go somewhere, or even intend to go somewhere, it results in a giant, totally illogical fight.

Not that we have to hold hands every day, but that would certainly be nicer than trying to fix the damage that appears every now and then...

- Ok... Do you guys have problems or something? - She asks curiously, but with an underlying concern that I don't like at all.

- No, let it go. I don't want to talk about it right now. - I sigh, determined to change the subject. - Aali, I'm going to be busy. Tomorrow I'm going to attend the fitting for the premiere carpet, and then I have to travel to New York to continue rehearsing...

- For the VMAs, right?

- Yes, and then, I think the next day, I have the Met Gala with Camila... - I'm interrupted when my laptop rings on the bedside table, at the same time that my phone lights up, vibrating on the bed. - ... who is the one calling me right now. Can we talk later, honey?

- Don't worry, I have things to do too. Take care! You give my regards to your Cinderella. Or not, I'd better write to her! - She yells at the end, blowing kisses at me over the loudspeaker.

- As you wish. Bye, honey. I love you. - I whisper, hanging up on her call to answer my girlfriend's call from my laptop.

The first thing I see are her lined chocolate eyes with long, thick lashes focused directly into the camera, squinted in such a comical way that it makes me laugh.

- Who were you saying "I love you" to? - She mumbles with exaggerated slowness and in a tone way below her vocal range that gives me creepy vibes.

- That was my sister, she must be about to leave you a message or one of her long essays, you know her.

- Oh, goody! - She laughs, clapping her hands contentedly.

- Where are you?

- Hair and makeup, want to see?

She steps away from the camera to let me finally see her in full, as radiant and beautiful as ever. Although I prefer her in her natural style, her team made sure to bring out every angle of perfection in her face, and with that smile of hers... I'm as good as dead.