1x3: Initiation

"It's morning, it's morning, it's morning, it's moooooorning!"

Jacket groaned at the interruption of such a wonderful dream. Sitting up, he looked around while rubbing the grogginess out of his eyes. Most of the other students were waking up, thanks to Miss Loud and Proud.

"What a lovely day, right?" Chimed his tape recorder.

"The hell?" He thought, glancing at the recorder. "I didn't hit it, did I?" He looked over the device, examining it for loose screws or the like.

"Is something wrong with it?" Asked Jaune wearing a bunny onesie.

Jacket blankly stared at him before shaking his head no. The onesie-wearing blondie shrugged and walked away. Although, he thought it was weird Jaune even thought that was a good idea, Jacket respected the decision. Sliding out of the sleeping bag, he stood up, stretched, and got dressed. However, as he slid on his jacket, he felt something in the inner pocket. He reached in and pulled out a rubber chicken mask. Jacket's gaze remained affixed to the mask for a long while. Images of blood splatters flicker in and out beneath waves of static.

"I wish this had stayed gone," he thought, sighing as he stowed away the effigy.

"Hey, Jacket, do you want to grab breakfast with us?" Asked Ruby. Her infectiously bright smile greeting him as he looked at her.

He smiled back and nodded in reply.

A cool breeze brushed past Jacket and the other soon-to-be students as they stood on a cliff overlooking an emerald forest. A dozens of questions were being created by the masses in Jacket's mind. 'Why were they there? Is this initiation? Why are they standing on giant plates?' However, due to the numerous questions in his head, he couldn't hear Ozpin explaining the situation. Then again, most of it was useless nonsense anyway, so nothing lost there.

However, the only thing that caught his attention was something Jaune had said: "do we get parachutes?"

Jacket didn't get a chance to think about it before he was launched into the sky. Panic gripped his inwards like a vice as he flew through the air. What seemed like miles of treetops pass underneath him.

"Is that bastard trying to kill us?!" Jacket screamed in his mind.

As he sank further and further to the trees, the thought felt like rang true more by the second. Then, he fell into the forest. Dozens of branches broke while he sailed through them. Although it wasn't long before his descent and speed died completely and he hit the dirt, wheezing.

"I'm... okay?" He asked no one. "Huh, I guess Lady Luck is starting to take a liking to me." He chuckled at the thought as he stood up, dusting himself off.

"Alright, where to, now?"

The forest was expansive. It felt like he was walking through the Pacific Ocean. Granted, Jacket had been walking around aimlessly, but it had only been about 10 minutes or so—yet he as if he was back where he started.

Jacket sighed lowly as he walked through a dense bush. "How big is this damned forest?" He thought, annoyed. "It's... almost like Hawaii." 

As if adding insult to injury, something snapped a branch behind him. His head snapped in its direction in reflex. Even down to the way he turned, looking like he'd been holding a rifle. Although he quickly got a grip and relaxed, for the most part. Jacket pushed forward, but kept his senses on high-alert. For a while, things went quiet again. No branches snapping, no bushes being rustled, nothing. Only silence as he cut through the dense underbrush. Then, what sounded a girl's scream split the air. Even a few birds were spooked, flying off to who knows where.