2x7: Check Ins

A calm air swirled around Jacket's dorm. The Hawaii veteran's low hum of a sad yet nostalgic tune originated from himself. He had his legs propped up on one another while tapping his foot along the beat in his head, even bobbing his head. Despite the relaxing mood, a knock came on his door, snapping him out of his self-induced daze. Jacket drew in, cursed to himself, and went to the door.

"Mr. Fritz? Are you awake?" Professor Peach called.

"I wish I weren't," he thought in response before unlocking his door.

Once the door opened, Jacket's height surprised him as he looked down at his teacher, towering over her.

"Is it alright if I come in?" She asked, sounding almost timid.

He nodded and stepped aside, watching her small frame pass him.

"I came because of your behavior before class," she stated, playing with her hands as she spoke.

"So you came to check in on me?" He said.

"Precisely," she replied. Her voice showed evident confidence for a fleeting moment.

Jacket briefly chuckles. "I appreciate the concern, Professor. I'm doing fine. Just lost in thought, is all. I've just had a lot going on right now."

"Then would you like to discuss it with me? Lighten the weight on your shoulders?" Peach proposed evenly.

"That won't be necessary, Professor. I'll be fine. But, if it gets to that point, you'll be the first I call," he replied. "Promise."

"Well, as long as you talk to some, one that's fine," she told him.

He nodded. "Is that all?"

"Yes. Then, uh, I'll be on my way," Peach  answered. Her shyness ebbing away. "And, one more thing, Ozpin asked if you could stop by his office when you get the chance."

Jacket stared blankly then replied with a stiff thumbs-up. His muscles slightly tense from something unknown.

"I'll be there. Soon," he said, sounding like a walking corpse.

Professor Peach nods and leaves, closing the door behind herself.

Jacket relaxes and takes a seat on his bed. He sighs and rests his head on his palms. "Fuck..." he mumbled.