3x1: A Vytal Start

"Oh ho ho! It seems we have another great bout ahead of us! Wouldn't you agree, professor?" Professor Port boomed with excitement, turning to his co-host. 

"Doctor! And yes, Pete! I think it's safe to say that this is the closest we've seen in the four-and-four bracket of the tournament!" Chimed Doctor Oobleck.

"For those who are just now tuning in, welcome to the final festival tournament! Broadcasted live from the beautifully constructed Amity Arena!" Port praised.

The intercom reverberated with Port's boisterous voice while the crowds shouted in amazement at the display of combat within the coliseum. 

"So these are the kids you're worried about?" Mary asked, glancing at Fritz with a curious eye. 

He scoffed. "They're more trouble than they seem," Fritz replied earnestly.

She laughed at his sudden seriousness. "Oh come one, 'Ricky,' they can't be that bad, can they?" 

"You'd be surprised," he remarked. 

Turning back to the fight, Team RWBY, for the most part, was holding their own against Team ABRN and displaying their impressive level of combat prowess and coordination. But, eventually, they took out ABRN with finesse and a well-timed punch, claiming the win with praising cheers from the crowd and the ever-stoic Fritz. 

"C'mon, let's congratulate the winners," said Fritz, rising from his seat.

"You don't sound proud of them," Mary commented, following behind him.

"I am," he replied, meaning the words more seriously than they sounded. "They've seemed to improve as a team despite their constant bickering, but that's to be expected."

"I'm sure you know all about that."

"Better than anyone."

"Fritz! Did you see us?!" Ruby boomed with a beaming smile.

He smiled and chuckled. "Yes, I did, and you all did great. I am very proud."

"Well, you don't exactly sound like it," chimed Weiss as she crossed her arms.

"And you don't sound excited either, Ms. Sunshine and Rainbows," Fritz shot back. "Besides, I'm not your father, so I'm not gonna shower you with my praise and attention." Mary nudged inside with her elbow. "But, I can get you guys something to eat. After all, I'm sure you work an appetite after that, right?"

The loud growl of someone's stomach answered his question. Ruby grew flustered as the others stifled their laughs.

"Come on," he stated, gesturing to the airbuses, "let's see what they have at the fairgrounds."

"Hey, is it just me, or has he been acting differently lately?" Ruby whispered to the others, following the pair. 

"Yeah," Yang agreed, "he's more..."

"Cheery?" Weiss suggested quietly.

"Yeah, more cheery than usual," Yang reiterated.

"You think it's her?" Ruby whispered, pointing at Mary.

"No, he just decided to be more vocal; of course, it's her!" Weiss mocked in a whisper. 

"What're you arguing about now?" Fritz groaned, glancing at them.

"Uh, nothing!" Ruby said, nearly shouting. 

He eyed her skeptically, then shrugged. "Alright, if you say so." 

"They're just fighting about who did better?" Mary told him. 

"They equally did well," Fritz replied, "but I can't stop them from trying to be the best amongst themselves."

"They're still just kids, Jackie." 

He hummed in agreement before fully facing her with furrowed brows. "Jackie?" 

Mary giggled. "It's my nickname for you. Or do you prefer Ricky instead?" 

Fritz groaned and shook his head. "I'm starting to regret saying that," he mumbled. 

She giggled and kissed his cheek. "Well, I'm glad you did. I might not have gotten the chance otherwise."

"Maybe," he remarked. 

Boarding the Air Bus, the number of open seats was scarce, but they eventually found seats together. 

"Got something on your mind?" Mary asked curiously, looking up at him from his shoulder. 

Fritz let out a breath through his nose. "Just thinking," he replied. 

She raised a brow. "About?"

"Nothing," He answered after reflecting. "Nothing at all." Fritz leaned back in his seat, his mind swirling with dozens of questions until his scroll started buzzing. He took it out and stared at Ozpin's name, eventually answering it. "Yes?" 

"Ah, hello, Mr. Fritz; enjoying the Vytal Festival?" Ozpin's cheery voice asked. 

"Of course, it's different than home," he replied, thinking back home and the Hawaiian Conflict. "But that isn't why you called me, is it?" Fritz leaned forward as he spoke. "Gotten anything new?" 

Ozpin's silence held as he thought about what to say. "It's better that you stop by my office and hear it yourself." 

Jacket cursed to himself before roughly sitting back. "Alright. I'll be there soon." 

"What was that about?" Mary asked with a concerned tone. 

"Ozpin called and said I need to report for debrief," he answered with a sad sigh. "Guess you'll have to take over for parent duty while I'm gone." 

She laughed. "Oh, come on, it's not hard to watch over a few kids, is it?" 

He wordlessly pointed at Ruby and Weiss. Mary turned to see Weiss, ready to strangle Ruby to near death. "Good luck looking after them."