3x9: Tension

A cold, choking silence swirled around her. Yang's hands rest lazily in her lap, her gaze fixed like a security camera. She uses her left hand, pressing her thumb into the palm of her other hand as if checking for something that isn't there.

"Yang? Are you sure that's what happened?" Blake's voice plays staccato against the question.

Yang pauses for a split second, then pulls her hands to her sides. "Yeah," she murmurs. "She tried to sabotage the whole thing."

"Tried?" Scoffs Weiss. Her eyes narrow into a half-glare at her teammate. "If your statement is true, she already succeeded in the attempt."

"Then ask Jacket. He'll tell you."

Ruby jumps to her feet, her hands firmly gripped around her head. "But why would Emerald do that?"

Yang grimaces and slumps over. "I don't know. Jack... Fritz thinks she wanted me out as well."

"Two birds, one stone, right?" Chimes Blake.

She grunts in acknowledgment. "Because I deserved it."

Weiss sighs and moves to Yang's side. "Don't worry about it. Emerald is just an as-"

From the other side, bandaged fist hits the door, catching their attention in its grasp. The four look at one another in pause until Ruby steps toward the door and opens it.

"Jacket?" Ruby questions, staring into the hollow eyes of the rooster mask. "Are you okay?"

His silence holds until he steps forward, overshadowing her. "Let me in." Jacket's voice is empty, like he isn't truly there.

"O-Ok."

"Yang," says Jacket. "Due to the actions of Emerald Sustrai and the uproar of the masses, you've been disqualified from progressing further."

The Blonde Brawler jumps to her feet. "What?"

"Fortunately, Emerald has been detained and will be tried for sabotage and accessory to assault."

"But why do I have to be disqualified?"

The empty eyes of the rooster mask bore into her. "I already told you. But, if it makes you feel any better, Qrow and I suggested you be allowed to continue."

"Gee, thanks," Yang scoffs, throwing her arms around herself. Jacket watches as she storms off into the bathroom.

"Is there nothing that can be done to bring her back?" Ruby prods in a calm voice.

"It's out of my..."

The masked man looks to choke on his words and leans on the headboard of a nearby bed.

Ruby rushes to his side, providing extra support. "Hey, you okay?"

"I... where am I?" Fritz replies groggily.

"Our dorm."

Weiss approached from behind Ruby, her arms crossed and a scrutinizing stare stuck to her face. "Are you drunk? Or is it just karma coming back to bite you."

He scoffs with a low chuckle and pulls the mask off his head. "Yeah, maybe karma is returning to give me a firm kick in the pants." Fritz steadies himself and stands straight, wordlessly thanking Ruby for her concern.

"What's going to happen to Emerald in the meantime? Surely she isn't roaming around free, right?" Blake questioned.

"She's being held in one of Vale's police departments," he answers. "And I'll be the one keeping an eye on her."

"Well, at least it's someone with real competency," remarked Weiss.

Fritz smirks at the observation. "Ozpin thinks the same." He draws a breath and exhales just as quickly. "I've gotta go before Emerald's team breaks her out."