1x10: Ripples

"Hey, does he look a little out of it?" Jaune asked, gesturing to Fritz who was poking at his food, looking dead tired.

"Maybe he's been up late doing work and stuff," Ruby suggested offhandedly. "There's been a lot of busywork lately."

"That is true, but I don't think he's one to wait last minute," Pyrrha denoted promptly.

"I don't think it's homework keeping him up," Yang proposed. Her voice bled with concern.

Weiss scoffed acidly. "You really think a brute like him would care about other people?" She said, almost seething.

"I believe he has compassion. If he had none to give, why did he stop after one swing on Cardin? He had the chance to kill him then and there," Ren voiced with simple directness.

"Yeah, Ren's got a point!" Nora agreed.

"Then we should go check on him instead of sitting here," Blake stoically stated.

"Good point," Ruby noted. "Alright, let's go." She picked up her tray and darted toward Fritz.

Following her lead, the others took their trays and trailed behind, one by one. Except for Weiss, who stayed, glaring at the jacket-wearing lout.

"Hey, Jacket, how are you?" Asked Ruby with an attempt at a real smile.

Nothing. Not even an acknowledging glance. When the other arrived, it was like he didn't hear them.

"Jacket?" Yang called, reaching out and grabbing his hand.

He paused for a second. His unreadable expression cracks and falls apart. His reaction sparking an ember of familiarity within Yang.

"What happened?"

Fritz's hand balls into a fist before he suddenly stands, taking his tray and heading for the exit. On his way out, he dumps his barely touched food into the garbage. The others, Weiss included, watched with varying emotions. However, before anyone could get a word, much less a sound, out, the bell rung. They all exchanged worried glances before getting up and heading to class. All but one of them thinking the same thing: what did he do?

The sun was setting on the horizon. Its light distorting the skyline with a mix of blue, violet, red, and orange. The swirling colors creating a beautiful sight to behold. Jacket stared at it with a distant gaze that looked near blank in expression. To him, it was like a bomb detonated in the distance.

He never saw or heard it. He only felt the rumble. Then the blast wave hit him soon after. The heat was like nothing he could ever imagine, but it was quick.

Gone and done at the snap of a finger.

Fritz hoped that's how it was for Beard. Fast. Not suffering beneath rubble waiting, hoping for anyone to save him. Or put him out of his misery.

He took a long breath and leaned back in his seat. "Fuckin' hell," he thought, exhaling through his nose.

While Jacket sat quietly and quaintly, three light knocks on door caught his attention. He stared for a moment in curious silence. Again, three knocks emanated from his door, but this time they were heavier. Confusion contorted his expression as he got up and walked to the door. 

"Hello?" He called out. "Ozpin, that's not you is it?" 

"Uh, hey, Jacket!" Ruby timidly replied, partly stumbling through her answer. 

Fritz unlocked the door and opened it. "What're you doing here? And how'd you find my dorm?"

"We um... followed you. B-But, we just wanted to make sure you were okay, right guys?" She glanced back at them for reassurance.

A cacophony of confirmations and concerns rose from the group. Except for Weiss and Yang. Princess seemed pissed, always does, but Yang looked oddly sad.

"Well, I'm fine," he said, returning to his usual stoicism. "Thanks for the check up and all, but you don't need to worry about me. Promise." 

Ruby went to say something but the door was already closed. 

"I don't even know why you bothered," Weiss remarked coldly. 

"Ma-maybe he's just not ready to open up!" Ruby suggested, a nervous smile plastered on her face.

"Yeah. He needs some time to relax," Jaune agreed, patting her on the shoulder. 

Jacket sat against the other side of the door. Their words just barely audible through the wood. Even their muffled footsteps fading away. 

"Fuck," he mumbled to himself,  smacking his forehead with his fist.