Chapter 38. Mother in law

Altagracia woke up with a resounding headache which she knew were the side effects of getting drunk. She stretched and yawned lazily when her eyes fell on a tray of food. It was filled with fruits, pancakes, a cup of coffee and some pills to aid with her headache. A word was at the side and she picked it, immediately recognising Elijah's handwriting.

Hello sweetheart,
Sorry I wasn't there when you woke up, but I had some urgent matter to take care of in another country. I don't know when I'll be back, but I promise to call you when I'll be free. I have a surprise for you as soon as I am back.

PS: I think I should let you get drunk more often.

Her heart somersaulted in her chest as she read the little word. As if programmed, the door burst open and Amelia ran towards her and joined her on the bed.

"Good morning Alta" She kissed Altagracia's cheek and beamed at her. Seeing the little girl's face early in the morning made her happy.

"Daddy told me to take care of you while he is gone. He made breakfast and then he left in his car" Reported Amelia and Altagracia smiled.

"Okay then, so what are you going to do to take care of me?" She asked and Amelia looked at her tray.

"Feed you. Say Aaaah" She asked Altagracia to open her mouth which the latter did with a smile as she was being fed from Amelia's little chubby fingers.

Mayra who happened to pass by saw the scene and couldn't help than been happier. Even Amelia who was usually hollow and scared of everything due to her mother's treatment seemed happier and full of bliss. She went downstairs and hugged her husband.

"Altagracia is like a fresh gust of wind in his life" She muttered and he smiled.

"I always make the best choices after all. Just look at my beautiful wife" He bragged and she chuckled.

"I don't think I can still be qualified as beautiful at this age" She said and he shook his head.

"Nonsense, you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I still love you like on day one" He said and she smiled at her husband flowery words.

"I love you too" She said and they kissed. Altagracia who happened to see this scene couldn't help but be a little envious. She wondered when she will finally be able to tell Elijah how she felt about him. She didn't even know when it happened, but she found herself falling for him.

Country S,

Elijah walked into the hospital were a woman laid on a bed, slowly recuperating from her new treatment. It was much more efficient and she could feel herself reviving. The doctors told her, she might be fully healed in about a week and then they will start the rehabilitation procedures.

He knocked twice and she wondered who it could have been but then let him in, ready to press the emergency button case it was someone bad.

"Good afternoon madam Parker" He greeted with a smile. It was the most handsome young man she had ever seen but he carried that domineering aura.

"Good afternoon. Excuse me, but do we know each other"

"Excuse my manners. I am Elijah Hales, your son-in-law, good to finally meet you" She gaped at him, seeing him smile exposing his pearly white teeth.

She knew about Altagracia marriage, but had always refused to speak about it after Altagracia announced it, so she didn't know her husband's face. More importantly she was confused why he was here and Altagracia was nowhere to be found.

"She is not with me. Altagracia is safe at my grandparents house and at the moment I am speaking with you, your lives are both in danger." Barbara gasped and stared at him.

"What do you mean?" She asked totally confused and a little scared.

"There are some things I can't tell you myself, as it is up to Altagracia, but there is this event in her life. A man died to protect her when she was four. I am his son" He threw the bomb at her face and she gasped.

She knew the boy hated them both, Altagracia for being stupid and her for giving birth to a stupid child.

"You want your revenge right?" She asked and he chuckled.

"Of course not! Even if I wanted, I can't bring myself to harm Altagracia. But other bastards still have the audacity to do so."

"Tell me"

"Devon Parker is the cause of everything. He started by abandoning you both thinking that you will be nothing after he left, but then, you manage to have a company. Then, he paid people to kidnap his own daughter to snatch it from you.

When she was saved and you were moved to another country, he lost track of both of you. But the bastard always put you, Altagracia and you business on a poker table, betting huge sum of money for a night with you or your daughter or your business. That was why everything you did always failed.

Devon manipulated Altagracia into marrying me, which was the best thing he could do both for me and her, selling her off for barely 15 millions dollars. He even tried to kill you, before the wedding, scared you will spill the beans and tell her his father had never cared about her.

And as if it was not sufficient, the bastard was fearless and shameless to trade my wife for a night to a drug dealer." He said and a phone fell to the ground both snapping them out of their state, startling them.

Behind them stood a doctor who had been close to Barbara and monitoring her closely.

"I just came to hand the phone over to Barbara. Altagracia wanted to speak with her. I walked on you and she... I mean we both heard everything" He stuttered and Elijah cursed.

He picked his phone and dialed a number who answered nonchalantly on the last ring.

"What's up bro?"

"Are you in Los Angeles right now, Steffen ?"

"No, Florida man"

"Sh*t! Take the earliest plane to Los Angeles and rush to your villa. Altagracia found out about everything " that made Steffen's face go serious and he picked his coat and credit cards, storming out of the his loft to the airport and he knew Altagracia will do something reckless.

Elijah turned towards the doctor at the door. "Prepare the transfer files of my mother in law right now. I'm moving her to LA." He ordered while dialing his wife. "Altagracia, answer please... Damn it!" he cursed when she didn't pick it. He had a bad feeling about this.