68

DEREK

Meredith went upstairs. when I suggested her working for me she thought I meant it in a way she can't do anything without me. but that's not how I meant it. I said it because if she works for me then I can keep an eye on her, she'll be closer to me and I can protect her.

I wait a bit before I go upstairs. I try opening the bedroom door but it's locked. I grab the key from my pocket and unlock the door. I open the door and walk in.

I don't see her anywhere. I open the bathroom door and walk into bathroom. I hear the shower running. "Meredith," I say. "get the hell out, Derek. I don't want to talk to, and I don't want to talk to you when I'm in the shower, so get out!" she raises her voice a bit at the end.

"I didn't mean you can't do anything without me, what I meant was if you work for me then I can see you more, I don't see you and the kids much. if your closer to me then if some comes here you're not hurt and you can't get hurt, the kids will be at school and me and you can work," I say before pausing a bit.

"I won't give you more than you can handle and you'll be making your share from the kids and yourself," I say. "it'll still be your money, it's coming from you just because you give it to me doesn't mean it's not yours," she says as she comes out of the shower and wraps a white towel around her waist.

"you wouldn't say that about the rest of the people that work for me, if you work for the money and earn it then it is yours. and I won't be giving it to you, I'll be paying you for what you've earned," I say as she towel dries her hair and starts doing her skincare.

"I know you are capable of being on your own, I know you don't need me. you didn't need me before I met you and you don't need me now... If you die... I won't be able to take, the pain will eat me alive and I don't know how I would wake up the next morning and raise our children when all I see in them is you. if I die, you'll be hurt and it will change you forever but you will go on, you will move on one day... I won't,"

"don't talk like that," she tells me. "you know what I mean," I say. "what I'm trying to say is I didn't mean what you thought I meant," I say. "I believe you, but... the kids are in danger enough as is. I don't want to make it any worse,"

"you won't be killing people, just working in an office. paperwork, nobody will even know you work for me. the kids will be okay, they always have been," I say. "No, they haven't. Greyson was kidnapped when he was only a few months old, he very easily could have been killed... we're just lucky they wanted me and not him,"

"they ever intended to kill Greyson," I argued back. "No, but would it have surprised you if they did...? I don't want the kids to get hurt. that's all I ask." she says. "and they won't," I say. "you don't know that! Fiona already knows what you do and it won't belong before the twins know as well!"

"We can talk about this later, I'm going to go check up on the kids," she says before she goes downstairs.

***

I went downstairs where Meredith was in the living room with the kids. she was sitting on the couch reading a book whilst holding Maeve. Greyson and Fiona were watching tv on the other couch across the room and the twins were on the floor playing.

"did the kids eat?" I asked. "yes," she says not taking her eyes off the book. "Meredith?" I ask. "Hmm," she hums. "are you okay?" I ask. she looks up and glares at me. "I'm fine, Derek," she says before looking back down at the book.

"you always say that and then end up crying yourself to sleep," I say quietly. "it's the hormones," she says. "I'm talking about before Greyson," I say. "Derek, I'm fine. go eat breakfast or something," she says.

"Meredith, just think about the job. I'll go get the paperwork," I say, I leave before she can say 'no.'

I go upstairs and get the paperwork from my office. I go downstairs, Meredith isn't in the living room anymore. I go into the kitchen and see her standing by the counter. "Meredith," I say. "can you just go away, and stop being everywhere, I don't always want to see you," she says, she's crying.

"what is it? what's wrong?" I say walking over to her and place my hand on her back. "nothing, it's the stupid hormones," she says. "do you want to work or not?" I ask softly. "I want you to watch the kids so I can go fix myself," she says.

"what do you mean 'fix' yourself?" I ask. "I'm crying, I look like crap," she says. "you look beautiful," I say. "No, I don't," she says before going upstairs again. leaving me alone in the kitchen.

idk what to write. what do you want me to add in this story????