73

DEREK

I go downstairs the next morning. I walk into the living room and see Meredith sitting on the couch watching tv.

"where are the kids?" I ask walking over to her and sitting next to her on the couch. "I have them away, last night you were complaining about having too many so I gave them away. but just the younger ones, we need to older ones to help with the new ones," she says keeping her eyes on the tv.

"Meredith, that's not what I meant last night," I say. "that's what you say, but you also lie so I have no reason to believe you," she says.

"Meredith, all I'm saying is Nancy is going to be bitchy when she's here," I say. "she's always bitchy when she's here," she says.

"exactly, so you should be prepared," I say placing my hand on her shoulder.

"then next time don't make me sleep in the guest bedroom," she says.

"I didn't, you're the one who told me to sleep outside like the dog I am," I say.

"you pissed me off, that's what you get for pissing me off. you have to pick names," she says.

"why, what for?" I ask. "we're getting some dogs and they need names- for the baby's idiot!" she says. "fine, we still have a lot of names written down from the other pregnancy's," I say.

"I named the other ones, you're naming these ones," she says. "is there any letter you want, do you want their names to sound similar?" I ask.

"why would we do that?" she rolls her eyes. "because it's what we did with the twins," I say. "Violet and Dylan don't sound similar," she says.

"they both have L's in their names," I say. "fine, do whatever you want. but don't pick the name if you think I'm going to hate it," she says before standing up.

"where are you going?" I ask grabbing her hand before she can walk away. "I'm going back to sleep, I'm tired," she says trying to walk away again.

"you can sleep here," I say wrapping my arms around her waist and pull her into my lap. "the couch isn't very comfy when you're pregnant with four children," she says trying to push my arms off her.

"Derek, I want to go back to bed," she groans as she tries to get free of my grip. "Meredith, calm down. relax, you're fine," I say.

"I'm not fine! I have four living things growing inside of me I feel like crap!" she says. she elbows me in the arm making me let go of her.

"Meredith, stop being stubborn," I say standing up and standing in front of her.

"Derek, I already told you I'm tired, go away." she says pushing me away. I don't budge.

"fine, I'm going back to sleep in the guest bedroom," she says before she walks past me and goes upstairs.

"you're not sleeping in the guest bedroom, you hate it in there," I say following her upstairs.

I close the door before she can shut it. "Derek, for goodness sake leave me alone. the more you piss me off the more of a reason I have to go buy divorce papers," she says.

she shuts the door while my fingers are in between the door. "Ow, Meredith!" I say puling my hand back.

I decide to let her cool off for a bit before I try talking to her again.

****

I'm in the kitchen making breakfast. I hear footsteps, I turn around and see Meredith. as soon as she sees me she turns around and walks out of the room.

I finish off breakfast and put a lid over the pan before I go back into the living room where I see her cleaning up some toys.

"Meredith, let's talk about this before the kids wake up," I say, taking the toys out of her hand and putting them away myself.

"talk about what?" she asks. "this whole quadruplet thing," I say. I take her hand and sit on the couch and she sits down next to me.

"what's there to talk about?" she asks. "you don't seem happy about it. I know you're a bit nervous and you're not yourself, what is it?" I ask.

"we already have five kids and now adding four more, that makes nine kids Derek. how are we going to raise nine kids under the age of ten?" she asks with tears in her eyes.

"we'll be fine. we have my parents and Amelia. all the kids are going to school expect for Maeve, and if we need a babysitter than we'll get one," I say rubbing my thumb over her knuckles.

"I don't want a babysitter," she says quietly looking down. "then we won't get a babysitter. and at least we'll be able to afford to feed, raise, and spoil all nine of them... and more if we wanted," I say.

"no more after these ones," she says. "agreed," I say before kissing the side of her head.

"the kids will be awake soon," she says before she gets up and walks away.