Chapter 64

The gym was vibrating with pulsing, loud, music. Whoever was in charge of it, definitely had good taste in what kind would be played at a masquerade. If somebody stood still long enough, they'd be able to feel the music in the floorboards. Students either piled into the gym, or were already laying claim to their own spots. Some gathered at the table that held the drinks, being served by what was assumed to be members of the events committee. Others were standing against the walls or dancing with their partners.

Nefeli was standing by herself near a wall. Nobody had come to stand with her or talk to her, Luna being the only exception. But, she was mainly alone. At least, not until now. Someone finally approached her, coming to stand in front of her. She looked up at them, a bit surprised at the company. The male held out his hand, offering it to her. It took her a moment to take it, out of fear it might've been her brother. But, this guy was shorter than Jihoon. He also had a different smell. After a little more hesitation, she finally lifted her hand, putting it into his. He closed his fingers over her hand, gently leading her away from where she'd been. She followed him to an empty spot on the gym floor. He faced her, putting a hand on her waist. She could slightly feel his fingers press into the fabric of her dress. She put her own hand on his shoulder, looking up at him.

He wore an all white feathered mask, which covered most of his face. Some masks only covered half, others would cover most, and others would cover all. His outfit was a navy blue, felt, prince like jacket. It had white laces that kept it closed over his shirt. His pants were white, along with wearing black boots that went up to his knees. He was very mysterious indeed. She couldn't see who it was behind the mask. She did wish she could, but it was okay that she was unable to. It was a masked ball after all. Nefeli couldn't help the slight change in her heart rate, when he gently pulled her closer to him, until both of their bodies were just barely touching. She felt her cheeks get a little hot at the sudden closeness of them. What was he doing? Was he trying to flirt with her? Who did he think he was? How inconsiderate of him. She didn't even know him, yet here was, thinking he could just get away with that. Well, he wouldn't.

"Excuse me, what are you doing?" she asked him, with a slight frown.

He said nothing to her. Instead, he pulled her along with him as he began dancing in rhythm to the music. She wanted to say something else, but she didn't. Instead, she just kept quiet, and let him lead their dance, since she was bad at it. Absentmindedly, she gripped his hand, fearing she'd mess up. Or even step on him. But, she didn't. She looked up at him, a little surprised. He was an amazing dancer, whoever it might have been.

He looked down at her, meeting her gaze. He had deep and piercing eyes. They were a dark brown, just like hers. Something about them was familiar. As if she'd seen them before. Not only that, but she felt she'd looked into them so many times. She probably hasn't. This was most likely a random male student who felt sorry for her standing alone, and is now dancing with her out of pity. But, no matter how many times she kept telling herself that, she couldn't believe it. Not with feeling like she knew who this was. She wouldn't get that feeling with a random person. She must know who it was.

"Yeonjun, is that you?" Nefeli asked softly.

She didn't get an answer from him. He wasn't ignoring her, definitely not. She noticed that he wanted to tell her who he was. But, something was holding him back from doing so.

"Soobin?"

No, it wasn't Yeonjun or Soobin. It was neither of those boys. Was there a chance that maybe it was one of her other friends? Jake? Riki? Seonwoo, maybe? No, that couldn't be it, either. They wouldn't risk dancing with her, not with Jihoon keeping them on tight leashes. But, maybe there was a bit of a chance it was one of them. She definitely knew that it wasn't Sunghoon. He had white hair. But, it could be one of the others. She just didn't know which one. She did wish she knew. Maybe she could figure it out. All she had to do, was try a bit harder, and she'd know.

Nefeli moved closer to him and made it seem as if she just wanted to be near him. But, the students at this school were vampires. They knew if someone was up to something. If this student knew what she was doing, he'd stop her. But, he'd only stop her if it was one of her friends. And that would be how she got her answer or not. She slid her hand from his shoulder, to rest on the back of his neck, her fingers getting lost in the strands of his black hair. She stared up at him, not wanting to look away. She always did enjoy it whenever they'd look at her. Especially if she would meet their gaze. It always made her heart race, which is what it was doing now. That was one sign it might be one of her friends. She had long since stopped paying attention to the music. The only things that existed to her now, were her and him. That's also another sign. They would always somehow make her feel like they were the only ones who existed. Nothing and nobody else around her mattered. Just them. Knowing this, it had to be one of her friends, right?

There was one more way to find out. Nefeli silently took a deep breath, to give herself some courage, for what she was about to do. Since he was taller than her, she had to rise on to her tiptoes a little, in order to reach him. She brought herself up to his level and slowly inched closer to his face. As she did, she waited for him to pull away at any second. He didn't. Instead, she felt his hand move to the small of her back and leaned forward. He was going to meet her halfway. No, this wasn't one of her friends. They would have either pushed her away or stopped her by now. Maybe it ready was one of her other friends. Or maybe she was about to kiss some random student. If she did, oh well. But, she had to find out. She'd only ever kissed Heeseung once before. That didn't matter. She'd know right away if it one of the others. She wasn't sure how she'd know. She just did.

After what seemed like forever, they finally kissed. His lips gently met hers, feeling like satin. At first, their lips only touched. Then, she felt him softly kiss her. Admittedly, it surprised her. She would have assumed it was some guy or it was one of her other friends. But, it wasn't. She could tell that it was one of them. But, she was unable to tell which one. She only knew for sure it was one of them.

Unfortunately, the kiss didn't last long. Before she knew it, he had pulled away from her. Nefeli's eyes slowly opened. She saw him put a hand over his mouth and turn from her, walking away, which left her alone in the middle of the floor. She watched him disappear in a sea of students. She wanted to chase him, but she forced herself to stay put. She frowned slightly, putting her own hand to her mouth. It was as if an ice cube had been left on her lips, leaving them cold.

Which of her friends had she kissed just now? Would she ever know? Most likely not.