Chapter 43

When Nefeli was finally released from the hospital, and allowed to return to school, she didn't hesitate in being quick to make changes. She'd asked the office for her own dorm room again, which they granted. She also tried to change her first class, so she could be away from Jake. She didn't want to be anywhere near him or the others. But, that was one thing the office couldn't give her. They'd told her that the other classes were full and she'd have to wait. Which was upsetting, but she had to endure it.

Instead, when she got to class, she'd asked the teacher if she could change her seat. Thankfully, he said she could and told her to sit at another empty desk, which was also in the back, but away from Jake. She thanked him quietly, bowing her head. She went to the empty desk, pulling out the seat and sitting down slowly. The entire time, Jake watched her from his seat. He was frowning as he saw she'd changed desks. It hurt him a little bit, because he knew she was avoiding him. And that was painful. He had been hoping she would be different. That she wouldn't see him as a monster. But now, that's exactly what she saw him and the others as.

Monsters.

After classes ended and lunch was announced, Nefeli came out of her classroom. She adjusted her bag on her shoulder, staring at the floor. She felt lonely. She'd become so used to the guys going with her and walking with her everywhere, that it was weird not having them around. She felt a little incomplete not hearing Riki and Seonwoo arguing with each other. Or not hearing Yeonjun flirting with her and not having Beomgyu being a weirdo. She also felt exhausted and worn down. She wasn't even hungry. She just wanted to go back to her room. So, that's exactly where she started to go. She headed down the hallway, sighing softly.

Somebody suddenly grabbed her hand gently, surprising her. She stopped walking and looked up, a bit startled. Seonwoo stood next to her, staring at her with a sad look. As soon as she saw him, she started to panicked a little. Nefeli looked away from him, her heart starting to race. She pulled her hand out of his, moving away from him quickly. He frowned as she did this.

"Please. Let's just talk," he said softly.

She looked at him again, not being the only one to frown. "We have nothing to talk about."

Nefeli started walking away, but he grabbed her hand, once again making her stop. She looked at him behind her, frowning still. She yanked her hand out of his, clearly feeling uncomfortable.

"I don't want to talk to you. So, please leave me alone," she said to him.

But, he didn't want to give up that easily.

"Orchid, just--"

"Don't call me that! My name isn't orchid, it's Nefeli! And I said I didn't want to talk to you! Please leave me alone! Just stay away from me, Seonwoo!"

Hearing her yell at him, saddened him. It only just confirmed how she viewed him. All of them were nothing but monsters in her eyes, now. And he hated it. That's not what he was. He could never be. And what was even more painful, was that she knew this. Nefeli knew Seonwoo wasn't like that. She knew he could never hurt her. And she knew that he was literally the furthest thing from what a monster could be. He was one of the sweetest and most kind hearted people she knew. He was a literal teddy bear. He couldn't hurt a fly. But, she was scared. She was badly traumatized by losing her mother and by her brother almost killing her. She was just acting out of instinct and self defense. She was protecting herself.

And he knew that. Which was why it was painful for him, too. Because he had to respect her wishes, until she might be ready to be around him and the others again.

"I'm sorry, I'll leave you be. I won't bother you anymore."

Nefeli watched Seonwoo walk down the hallway. As he did, she felt an ache her chest, seeing him leave. She just wanted to go after him. She wanted him to hug her. But, her fear was overpowering that need. So, instead?

She walked away, too.