006

Xiao

Practice was dreadful, but pain was already a part of me where my body is used to feeling, so it wasn't as painful as it should be like the others.

"Do cool-down stretches and let's call it a day." As soon as the sound of a whistle echoed across the court, everyone exhaled in relief and did what the coach instructed us to do.

"Xiao!" It was a bad idea for me to turn my head and avert my attention to him because he approached me with a tight squeeze again.

"Get off of me unless you want me to break your arms." He rolled his eyes and even crushed me harder.

"You should be pleased with my comfort hug since you did endure the consequence." He responded.

"But the word, comfort, doesn't blend well with what you did now." He released me from his grip and crossed his arms.

"You are welcome." He sarcastically said.

We both headed towards the locker room to change our sweaty jerseys into dry clothes.

"So do you have plans later?" He scratched his neck and asked.

"No, why?"

His mood lightened up, and he had a wide grin on his face. "So what do you think about doing a karaoke night together?"

"No."

His smile turned into a frown, and he was disappointed. "What? Why not?"

"Because my fathers don't want me to come home late." It was a lie.

My stepfathers are not strict because they spoiled me with love, care, and support, but my introversion holds me back.

My refusal did sound like a bad friend to the point that it made him upset, but it terrifies me when someone gets too attached to me.

He nodded his head and forced a smile as a reply. "I understand."

"Sorry."

He punched me lightly on my shoulder and chuckled. "No worries, man. We can do it next time when you want someone to accompany and support you with your 'best friend' or someone to give you advice and listen in case she rejects you. You could count on me for that."

What he said makes me want to take my apology back. "Do you want me to stomp on your foot before I leave?"

He pouted his lips and glared at me as he guided me towards the door. "Isn't it too early for my birthday present? So how about you just go home? Because your parents might be worried about you. Bye, be safe!"

His sarcasm made me roll my eyes, but he did bid me a proper goodbye before I left.

The evening sun cast long shadows on the ground, and the slanting rays of the setting sun added a warm orange tinge to the sky, which was beautiful to stare at.

I walked towards the school's parking lot, where my black Mercedes-Benz was parked. It was a gift brought by my dad for my sixteenth birthday.

I went inside my car, put the bag on the seat, and drove my way out of the school grounds.

• Home •

At home, a petite with lavender hair and olive green eyes opened the gate for my car to get in.

"Young master Alatus, welcome home." Noelle bowed her head as she greeted me with respect.

"Good evening."

"Young master, your bag seems heavy, so let me carry that for you." She offered.

"No, it's fine." Girls may not be my preference because their presence irritates me, but my dad will scold me if my behavior is rude and it would be so ungentlemanly for her to carry my bag.