Chapter 4 : The Stuck Butler

Two days passed with Satan at home. As far as she knew, he slept on the couch at night, and they spent the rest of the time together. On Wednesday, the afternoon being a quiet day, Lisa went to work at the bookstore. Against all odds, he declared he had work to do and left for the underworld. Damn, he was leaving when she was working! She would have enjoyed this moment alone at her grandparents', but she had to pay her bills.

On her way to the bookstore, she realized that Cerberus the dwarf Chihuahua was following her, nose to the wind and tongue hanging out. She stopped, he stopped. She resumed her walk, he started trotting again on his little legs. Doubt crept into her. Satan had told him to follow her!

Nevertheless, the animal remained on the doorstep, its bulging eyes turned inward. He was staring at her, the devil!

-You look exhausted, remarked Maxime, the boss's son.

-Hmm? Yeah. But it's allright.

She did not even think of apologizing for her behavior on Sunday. That day seemed to her to have happened a year earlier, so much those three days with Satan had exhausted her. Yet he was not a bad man. He had certainly the wandering hands, but he was not dangerous in itself. Thinking, she said to herself that she should reread her mangas a little, just to foresee the next moves of the demon. What else was he going to do?

Surprisingly, she saw many people from her high school that day at the bookstore. Was this a joke or what? Three quarters of them had never opened a book in their lives, and they were all discovering a passion on Wednesday afternoon!

Or were they coming to see Fat Lisa, the ugly girl who had a hottie for a... boyfriend, officially?

-You are not ugly. According to my master, you are the most beautiful woman he has ever seen.

Had she spoken out loud? Confused, she apologized to her client... Only to find that he had no intention of buying anything. In fact, with his hands behind his back, he seemed to study her from head to toe.

-My Queen playing the cashier... We will have seen everything.

Uh, who was he? With his vaguely disgusted look, his very straight back and his blue eyes darting at her, he seemed to know her. But who was he? She would have remembered a young man with white hair.

-I am the King's butler, he said, puffing his chest out. And now I am yours.

A butler? Was this a joke? She didn't need a butler!

-The flunky has been cleaning your house for three days, he said, squinting at her. And who do you think cooks the meals my master brings you?

-Maxime? she called, turning to the boss's son. Will you replace me, please? I won't be long.

Directing this demon to follow her, she disappeared into the small break room of the bookstore. More normal in size than Satan, the man gave her a cold smile.

-Do you want to discuss with me, my Queen?

-Not you? I would like to point out that it was you who came here.

He pursed his lips.

-You have a mind of your own.

-I can just think. What do you want from me?

-The King's sister would like to meet you.

-Ah. When?

-Now.