Chapter 2 : A Stressed Bride

Her first kiss, which she had to have in a cloud of rose petals against a sunset background, stolen down the stairs from her dead grandparents by a fucking apple red demon!

Standing behind the cash register of the small bookstore where she worked, Lisa was tapping the keys of her cash register with an unconcealed rage. Few stores were open on Sundays, but this one had obtained an exemption by some means.

-Uh... Everything is fine, miss? said a tourist, who came to buy literary souvenirs from Toulon.

-Did I ask you something!?

-Sorry...

-Take your purchases and get out!

He left without asking for anything else. The other customers, hiding behind the shelves, did not dare to pay for their books right away.

-Fucking lout!

-Say, Miss Perrone, aren't you almost done yelling at everyone?

The owner's son.

-Shut up!

He took a step back. He was a high school student too, and he went to a different school than hers. And if he was nice, she found him a little too often in her way, even if she said nothing. She needed this job. But right now...

-Don't come and piss me off, Maxime! Go back home and count the pixels on your computer and leave me alone!

-But...

-Get out of here!

He left without asking for help. The other customers lowered their heads a little more behind their work, waiting for the storm Lisa to calm down. It wasn't going to happen, because her gaze landed on the ring on her finger. Damn it! She could not remove it! She had pulled and yelled and smeared it with soap, but she couldn't get it off!

-Lisa? I think you should go home.

Her employer. A man in his forties, with round golden glasses and rather short cut hair. Slim, nice, and Maxim's father. This brat had gone to cry at his father's house. Speaking of father, here! She wondered where the bastard who had sold her to Satan was.

-That falls well, I have things to do, she spat while throwing her apron on the case, to leave with great strides.

-Don't worry, you're not fired! Come back on Saturday!

-Yeah, right! See you on Saturday!

An hour later, she was sitting on the edge of a fountain, staring into space. The Place de la Liberté was teeming with people, including a few tourists, who had come to see the fountain and its statue of Marianne. Sitting on the side, she was relatively quiet. In fact, she didn't care. Plunged into her thoughts, she kept replaying her dream, as well as her catastrophic start to the morning.

What if it was all just a dream? Sure, the face of this Satan was too specific not to be real, but... ever since she had left her home, she had some doubts. Maybe she wasn't very well awake at the time, after all?

Her gaze caught the gothic ring on her finger.

No.

It was not a dream.

-Look who's here, the big Lisa!

Looking up, she saw herself confronted with the three dimwits of her senior class. This unpleasant aspect of normalcy in her life brought her back to earth. Fat Lisa. Slightly heavier than average, the young girl did not correspond to the physical criteria of these three gremlins. Besides, they were not slow to remind her regularly that she had no boyfriend, no sexual experience and that she would never have any.