Chapter 19 : An Angelic Friend

Our early arrival surprised the staff of the royal land house, but the servants immediately set about attending to her father and strapping Miriam into a rather comfortable chair.

A bit banged up, the angel looked around with interest. Lisa collapsed on the sofa with a sandwich prepared by Rwine, while Satan removed the shojos-mangas from the coffee table. Still with it, it was not possible! What was the next step for him? She really had to reread all those mangas. Besides, he had bought some new ones!

-Since when have you been watching Lisa? inquired the king, handing over the dust jacket of a volume showing a girl as a soubrette in the arms of a demon.

Miriam glanced at the high school student, before answering.

-Since the sale to Lucifer.

Sorry?

-Don't we know each other from before? she wondered.

-No. I manipulated your memory and the memory of your classmates to make room for me in the class. Sorry, Lisa...

Her only friend... was a fake friend. Suddenly deeply hurt, she realized that in truth she had never had a close friend in high school. Her self-esteem took a slap. Yet, this was not really the most interesting thing for her at this moment. After all, she was used to being disliked.

-How did you find out about this?

-Some demons are under surveillance, the angel answered without taking her eyes off Satan. You never know. But the marriage to the king... I didn't see that coming.

-Neither did I, Lisa admitted.

She looked at her husband pensively. Things had changed since they were married. With a dreamy smile on her lips, she bit into her sandwich. But what had Rwine put in it? It was really good!

-You know she's my wife, so I protect her. Why did you keep watching her, Miriam?

-You are not the only one who does not want a war between our dimensions.

This time, her husband frowned. What did she mean by that? With a sigh, the angel explained:

-Lisa has become your weak point, Satan. Now, if you die and Lucifer takes the throne, he's sure to start a war between angels and demons. Frankly, I don't want that. So I'm watching over your wife to make sure everything doesn't go to hell.

Seen like that, it was much clearer.

-I'm not his weak spot, Lisa snapped, swallowing her mouthful.

-Yes, you are, said her husband. So I can assume, Miriam, that I don't have to kill you to protect my wife's life?

-You guess right.

-Good.

That's how Lisa found herself a demon queen with a guardian angel. Her life was really taking a turn more and more bizarre. Anyway. Miriam was invited to live in the demon house. Which she appreciated, considering she had been living in the hotel for over a week. How had she not noticed? Anyway...

-I have to go back to school, said Lisa.

-Why? You don't have to.

She gave her husband a sly smile.

-Sure. And I'm going to drop out of school, blow off my career plans and sit on my entire life because we're married? That way the day you leave me, I'll be in a mess in the human world.