Chapter 9 : The Arena

Lisa appeared perfectly waxed, manicured, and with peachy skin at dinner. It had taken hours to achieve this result, but all the gossip she had heard about Satan had brightened the experience. The meal was spent with Lilith and her husband, so they had a good laugh. She learned many things about their world, including the king's excessive love of stuffed animals. Although he said that this habit was relegated to childhood, Lisa pointed out that the nightly blanket was now her.

Nevertheless, reality came quickly.

Soon, there was only one room, one bed and two spouses.

She had put on the ugliest pajamas in her possession before coming to plant herself beside the bed, fists on hips. The room wasn't unusually large for a king's, but there was an imposing bed, two huge picture windows surrounded by red velvet sheets, a big fireplace, and a colossal husband who looked at her from across the arena with a big smile.

-This is the first time we've gone to bed at the same time.

-Yes, because you usually sneak into my sheets like a thief.

There was a small silence.

-If I ask you to sleep on the couch, you won't, will you? she asked in a small voice.

-Yes, that's right.

-What if I go sleep on the couch?

-I'll meet you there.

The schoolgirl's eyes dropped to the sheets.

-No sex.

He nodded, a mischievous glint in his eye.

-What woman wants, woman has. Or doesn't have, in this case.

Stiff as a board, she pulled the blanket up under her chin. Sleeping was going to be very, very complicated.

-Did you enjoy your visit to the palace? he inquired as he lay on his back, his hands crossed over his chiseled abs.

-Yes.

His voice was so weak that he had to bite his lip to keep from laughing.

-Tell me, Lisa... Why haven't you asked me how to divorce a demon yet?

This time she turned her head towards him.

-I thought about it. But I didn't have time to ask you, she admitted.

There was a new silence, during which he looked at her carefully. His right horn was digging into the pillow, but it didn't seem to bother him.

-Why, would it be possible? inquired Lisa.

-For the moment, no.

She frowned.

-Why for the moment?

-Do you really want to humiliate the Demon King by leaving him less than a year after his wedding? Especially, you might have some problems with some members of our community, if you ever leave me now.

-But this is blackmail!

-No, a simple statement. You are a queen, Lisa. That stirs up jealousy.

Damn. She hadn't thought of that. Upset, she thought quickly.

-So we're supposed to spend a year together?

-Yes, it is.

-But once this year is over, I won't see you anymore?

In an incomprehensible way, it tightened his heart. This demon had invaded her life without warning, turning her life upside down. To lose a husband, a butler and a dwarf dog in less than a week was a lot. Especially when they all belonged to a demonic dimension. He'd screwed up her high school life and the three dimwits wanted to sleep with him. And she was being taken for a bed-wetter, after what he had said in the locker room.

-No. I promise you, in one year you will not see me anymore. I will disappear from your life and everything will go back to normal for you.

His red hand pushed back a strand of her hair, brushing her cheek in the process. A shiver went through her.

-Why did you marry me, if you were going to abandon me in a year?

This question seemed to bother him for a moment, but he leaned over her, a slight smile on his lips.

-By lust, my sweet wife.

His mouth met hers. Their kiss was sweet. Unexpectedly gentle from a six-foot tall man. Without thinking about it, Lisa responded, so that she actually kissed a man for the first time in her life. Her head began to spin as her tongue met his, as their breath mixed. Far from being offended, she suddenly found herself on her back, Satan's free hand on her hip...

-Wait, wait! she exclaimed suddenly. We said no sex!

A Machiavellian gleam shone in her husband's eyes.

-What is your definition of sex, Lisa?

-Uh... No penetration? she gurgled under the effect of the eagerness.

-Good answer, he said with a big scoundrel smile.

No, actually, it was a bad one! But suddenly he took her lips back, as her body began to weigh sensuously on his. The head turned to him. Sensations of heat coursed through her from top to bottom as she arched her back in an inexplicable manner, placing her hips against the demon's massive chest.

Soon, she felt one of his hands sliding on her hip, as he took support on her forearm not to crush her under his weight. His fingers slipped on the top of his ugly pyjamas, caressing this belly which she did not like, to stop at the curve of her breast. Lost in her ardent kiss, she didn't think to take offense at all this, which nevertheless fell well within the definition of sex. But all she could think about as her palm closed over the bouncing globe was its warmth, almost burning on her bare skin. It was deliciously erotic.

Leaving her lips, he placed a myriad of kisses on her neck, rolling the tip of her breast between his expert fingers. And when he was about to close his mouth on her nipple, she...

-My King! someone shouted from the other side of the door.

They stopped dead in their tracks, like rabbits caught in the headlights. Common sense suddenly returned to Lisa, who blushed like a peony. A brief despair crossed Satan's face.

-WHAT!? he roared.

The violence of his answer made the intruder hesitate.

Getting up with a ferocious roar, the demon went to open the door, with such force that it crashed against the wall.

-WHAT!?

-I... Uh... We have a problem, a dragon has awakened, and... uh... It's burning the northern capital, and... uh... nobody...

-Fucking hell! Couldn't he choose another time?

Satan looked at his wife, who was adjusting her pyjama top. Their eyes met, but she hastily lowered hers, almost as red as he was.

-Fuck! I'm gonna kick that lizard's ass! You, call Rwine, I want two elite guards in front of that door, two on the balcony and two on the roof. I'm on my way.

He slammed the door, to come and kiss his wife on the forehead, with a delicacy contrasting with his state of rage.

-Sorry. I'll be right back.

That's how she found herself alone in this big bed, lit by the two moons of the demonic dimension. Frustrated as can be.