Kabanata 32

Admit

"Let's not push through the investigation," Lolita Mondragon Saavedra, the mother of mommy Estrella and the grandparents of my siblings said.

Even though her age was dominant all over her face, Elegance was still seen on the way she talks and the way she moves.

"But mother–" Aunt Esmeralda tried to interrupt but Lola Lolita raised her hand in front of Aunt Esme.

"He ended his life. There's nothing to investigate here," Severino Cordero Saavedra continued.

This is the night after the burial. It's been hectic and now silence engulfed the Saavedra Manor after the death of Tito Louie.

"Mother, I know politics. It can be dirty. Maybe louie was framed and–" I looked at dad and saw how Lola Lolita grimaced from my dad's words.

"Stop talking. I don't trust you since you cheated on my daughter," I bowed down my head.

They are the grandparents of my siblings and all I have is respect for them even though they don't acknowledge me and I understand where they came from.

"Mother, let's stop talking about this," Mommy estrella caressed her mother's back.

Lola Lolita then turned her gaze at me and I averted my eyes to the plate in front of me.

I will always be the Illegitimate child and their views for me is always the negative ones.

"You even approve your cheating husband to bring his illegitimate daughter here," she really emphasized the word, 'illegitimate' like it was a bad thing. Like it was my fault that I am here in the first place.

I fidgeted with my hands as I feel the stares of my aunts, uncles and cousins to me.

It felt like I was always drowning with their mocking eyes and words everytime we have a gathering like this.

This is a family gathering. I should be happy that after all these years, we have reunited again.

But, they are not my true family because we're not blood related after all.

Maybe, that's the basis of considering someone your family...when you know you share the same blood.

"She's Family..." Kuya said and we all turned to him.

"She's just your half sister," Aunt Beauty said and rolled her eyes at Kuya.

"She's our family, blood related or not," Kuya said and gritted his teeth, "and all of you..." He pointed to our relatives from Lola Lolita up to Uncle Oliver, "should respect our sister!" Kuya stood up.

I felt comfort as ate squeezed my hand, assuring me that everything will be okay.

"You are disrespecting the food, Rex Novem," Lola Lolita said.

"And you are disrespecting my family," Kuya left the table even though mommy was calling him.

"This is your fault!" Aust Esme said to me.

"Ate naman!" Suway ni mommy estrella.

"And now, you are siding with her?" Aunt Esme scoffed.

"It's final, let's discuss this matter tomorrow," Tito Ricardo said trying to save the dinner between his family.

"I lost appetite," Uncle Oliver said and left the table.

"Estrella, you shouldn't brought your other daughter here. Malas kasi," Aunt Beauty smirked.

I deeply sighed.

"Use formalities, Beauty. I'm older than you," Mommy estrella said.

"Mommmyy, I want chocolate!!!! Where the cholate pawnteyn?" Stephanie's voice really annoyed my ears.

I shouldn't have come in the first place if I know this gathering would result in chaos.

We went home early in the morning after that night.

If we last another day there, wala nang gagawin ang mga kamag-anak nila kundi tustahin ako.

"Get your shirt at my office. Pati na rin pala kay Reno at Riri," I furrowed my eyebrows at what dad said.

"Shirt? What for?"

"Next week na ang botohan. We will be busy this week for campaigning and we will start tomorrow from Sta.Barbara to Oton," Dad said firmly.

I ruffled my hair as I forgot about the campaign period!

Midterms na next week and I should be busy studying right now tapos kailangan ko pang tulungan si dad sa campaign niya.

This is ridiculous. How am I supposed to study and promote my dad in the first place?

"Era!!!" Corynn waved at me and beside her was Byron.

Mukhang pupunta siya sa direksyon ko kasama si Byron so I ran faster to my guards so that they wouldn't catch up to me.

There's a lot on my plate right now and I am tired dealing with byron.

Every after class, my guards would always pick me up and start the campaign with my sisters and staffs of my dad.

It was really tiring smiling and standing at a truck but it's for my dad.

I started reading my notes at the van when going home but it's to no use since I am super tired and sleepy.

My eyes are a traitor. I should study but everytime I try to study, I end up sleeping!

"You can sleep on my shoulders, era," I ignored what Rafa said and closed my eyes.

I can't run away from this asshole beside me.

Para siyang linta, dikit nang dikit pero wala akong magagawa dahil malakas ang kapit niya kay dad. I just let him sit beside me because I am tired and I don't have the energy to argue.

It's the last day of campaign and bukas ay bawal nang mangampanya dahil sa lunes ay botohan na and at the same time, it's the start of our midterms.

"Samson Aldana, number 5 sa balota!" Sigaw ni Kuya sabay hagis ng mga t-shirts sa supporters ni dad.

We're currently in an open truck and throwing some posters, fans and t-shirts for the supporters of dad.

Beads of sweat are already spreading into my body and I fanned myself using my hands but Rafa noticed it and wiped my sweat using his towel.

"Hey, back off!" Napatingin sa akin sila kuya and ate, "I can wipe my own sweat,"

"You're too harsh, era," Rafa said and pouted his lips.

I wanna punch him so bad.

"Ate, pwedeng palit tayo ng pwesto?" Mas malapit si Ate sa grills ng truck kung saan karamihan sa amin ay kumakapit so she let me exchange her place and she was at my back protecting me against the asshole.

"So, he's not really your boyfriend?" Kuya whispered into my ears as the campaign music was too loud for us to speak on our normal voice.

I nodded.

Kuya was saying something but it became muffled...

Well, the music, the people who talks around, the supporters of my dad yelling...it became muffled when I saw him with her...

They are also on a truck, campaigning for his dad and they are going on an opposite direction towards us.

They look so happy. Zone's arms were wrapped around Nathalie's waist while he was whispering something to her and she then chuckled afterwards...

It was brief but I saw everything...

He was finally happy.

He found the happiness he didn't found within me.

It's because I kept pushing him away...

I kept pushing him to someone else when in fact I was also inlove with him...

There, I admit it...

I am inlove.

I love Zone.

But I'm never going to admit that in front of my family, friends and...to him.