Chapter 1

NYC. New York City. I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Also one of the most crowded. And somehow I was still able to find the other end of my red string here. The person who felt like my other half.

💌

PART 1

September 2015

"I finally submitted the history assignment last night" Tina tells me as she offers me a croissant from the parchment bag she religiously buys everyday from the cafe around the corner. I accept it and take a bite, the warm chocolate filling melting on my tongue.

"Wasn't that due two weeks ago?" I ask her, a smile playing at my lips.

"Hush, hush" Tina mumbles as she shoves another croissant in my hand.

I laugh as a tinge of red spreads across her face,
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I say as I try to hold back a laugh.

"I know you don't really mean that but since I'm nice, I will consider forgiving you" she teases as she laughs.

"Oh, why thank you madam" I reply, feigning relief.

We laugh together as she links her arm with mine, walking down the road to our school, Dame Lyre's College.

A honk of a car horn is followed by the most annoying voice,
"Why hello ladies, need a ride?"
I know who it is without needing to turn around to see him, Mr. Rahul Khanna, his reputation precedes him. A playboy, the best of the best. However, I have a personal angle with him. He's what I would consider an academic rival, no matter what I say or do, I always find him on the opposing side, rebutting everything I say or do.

"Who wants a ride with you, go woo another girl, I'm sure many of them would be dying to go with you" I hiss. My grip on Tina's arm tightens as I pull her along and start walking faster, only to realise he's still driving slowly behind us.

"Who's asking you Sharma, I'm asking Seema. Hey darling, wanna ride with me?" He leans his head to the side and gives Tina his trademark smirk.

"Her name is Tina, not Seema. You don't even know her name, leave us alone Khanna" I seethe, my temper rising.

"It's okay really" Tina starts, patting my forearm to quieten me, "we would love to." Tina smiles coyly at Rahul.

"We will not-" but before I can even finish, Tina is dragging me to Rahul's car.

Rahul smirks at me as he pushes open his passenger door, the audacity. I lift my head high, and open the back door instead, crossing my arms across my chest as I nestle in the backseat.

I expect Tina to follow suit and am surprised to see her slip in the passenger seat, passing another shy smile to Rahul. Great, my own best friend is fraternizing with the enemy. And I am in the backseat of his car. What a great way to start another Monday.