Chapter 25

His head leans back slightly as he stares at me trying to decipher my words.

"I am tired of you running in my mind" I repeat.

His lips part slightly but I don't give him a chance to answer as I continue,

"You are the bane of my existence, I'm tired of you not knowing what you want, how long have we been like this?" I look at him sternly as I yank my arm free.

His eyes stare into mine intensely.

"We are no longer high school students Rahul and yet we are right where we were three years ago, I don't even know what we are, what are we?" I push against him, my palms pressing hard against his chest, I can feel his heart beating under my right palm.

He stares at me quietly, his eyebrows moving ever so slightly.

"We have been like this since forever, just when I think we are past all our misunderstandings and actually getting to understand one another, you shut me out again, and we're back to square one" I look out the balcony door, the clouds are beginning to lift slightly.

"I don't know what you want, in fact-" I look back at him, "I don't think even you know what you want. And I'm tired" I emphasise the last word, "I'm tired of trying to decipher what it is that goes on in your mind. I think it would be best for us both if we only talked as much as we needed to" I state as I start to calm down.

He swallows, I watch in silence as his adam's apple bobs in his throat, "Very well then" he finally mumbles, "whatever you'd prefer."

He moves past me, his shoulder brushing against mine ever so slightly as he walks out of my room.

I stand there, somewhere between my balcony and my room, trying to reassemble my thoughts.

— — — — — —

"I actually really liked Anne's character in the book, she was a very commendable personality" Dev offers as we hike up the paved hill.

"I'm impressed you've read Anne of Green Gables and given her the attention she requires rather than overlooking her for Gilbert like most readers" I huff, clutching my side as a slight pain begins to burn just below my ribs.

"I am an avid reader Anjali, and an intellectual one at that" he feigns hurt over my previous comment.

I laugh but groan as that only intensifies the pain.

Dev looks at me in concern, "Are you okay?"

I huff, "Why would you situate a bazaar on such a steep hill?" I groan, winded from my walk to the market due to the tiny hills it was situated on, "We're catching a taxi back" I mumble to Dev as I try to maintain my balance.

He laughs but nods, "As long as you make it back in one piece, I'd be willing to hire a horse carriage back as well."

"Actually, come to think of it, I think I would prefer the horse carriage more" I tease.

Dev rolls his eyes but grins, "Alright alright madam but go get the things we came here for before the stalls close."

I kick his shin before I jog over to the bangle stall, chuckling on the way.

He stares at me in disbelief but smiles as he chases after me, "Oh you did not."

"I did" I reply nonchalantly as I start choosing bangles.

He gently pulls on my braid, pulling my head back, "You silly girl."

I swat his arm, "Let go, I need to pick bangles."