Chapter 7

Now seems like as good a time as any to add to my list of the things that I don't have in common with Rahul.

1. I don't flirt with every living, breathing person I see.
2. I don't touch people without their permission.

Rahul, you see, does both.

Today is the 7th time we've met this fortnight to practice as a team one last time before we have the actual debate. I'm currently contemplating whether a suspension would really be that bad, I'm certain knocking Rahul out would be totally worth it, but then again, the thought of ruining my future at Harvard for someone like Rahul isn't that much appealing. I settle on fake smiling at Rahul when he "accidentally" brushes against my arm yet once again. Eleanor is smiling proudly at us, she thinks the weeks of being forced to work together have resulted in Rahul and I not wanting to kill each other with every passing minute.

"I'm so proud of you two, you guys have finally stopped bickering" she gives us a big smile.

"Yeah, yeah totally" I smile at her, she smiles back and starts reading through her notes again, I turn towards Rahul, who's sitting on my left, casually stretching his arms, I feel my smile slipping as he rests his arm on the back of my seat, brushing his right hand against my hair and shoulder.

I lean towards Rahul and watch as his smirk falters, I give him my best smile and start fixing his collar as I lean towards his ear, "Rahul if another one of your 'accidents' occur, I'm going to kick you where the sun doesn't shine" I say sweetly.

"Everything alright guys?" Eleanor is looking at the both of us, the confusion evident in her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah" I smile at her as I give Rahul's collar a final pat, "I was just fixing Rahul's collar and telling him that he can't show up in an unironed shirt for the debate, you know how they want us to look distinguished and all" I say.

Eleanor nods and turns to Rahul, "Oh yeah, make sure your clothes are well ironed, the judges will definitely consider that. Ahh I'm so excited guys" Eleanor beams at us, flashing us the biggest smile I think I've ever seen.

Ironically enough, I don't feel even an ounce of the enthusiasm she does, in fact, I'd much rather get this over and done with. Once this debate is done and I'm not pretty much failing my political science class, I'll never have to work with Rahul again. Yay.

My little threat worked like a charm, Rahul stays 5 feet away from me at all times now, too scared to even accidentally touch the air around me, it's an amusing revelation.

The time goes by so fast, it's the night before the debate and I am an anxious mess.

"Anjali, Anjali, it's all going to be okay!" ma grabs me by the shoulders, gives me a little shake and gets me to take a deep breath.

My mind seems clearer. "Yes, you're right, I need to stop panicking, everything will be okay" I breathe in and out.

"Yes, everything will be great beta, now go sleep sweetheart, a good night's sleep is important" ma says as she kisses my temple.

I smile at her, "Okay ma, goodnight, I love you."

"I love you too beta" she smiles.

--------

First impressions? Always important.

I pull out a white cotton shirt, and iron it carefully, I hang it on the doorknob as I rush to go take a shower. I've already given myself a quick pep talk when I was brushing my teeth earlier today. I glance at the clock, it flashes 6:12 am, perfect, I'm on time.

I quickly run the towel through my wet hair, as I swipe clean the foggy bathroom mirror. I run into my room, and quickly get dressed, I wrap my hair in a towel as I put on stockings, the previously ironed shirt, a black pencil skirt, I then run to the bathroom again to blow dry my hair, after contemplating it for a bit, I decide to straighten it as well. I don't normally wear makeup but the anxiety is eating me up, I must look presentable. I put some BB cream on, carefully put eyeliner on, two subtle wings that don't look overwhelming but add a nice touch to my face, making my eyes look sharper, similar to those of a siren. I finish off with some mascara and lip tint, I decide to add lip balm over the subtle coral tint. I look in the mirror, a smile spreads over my lips, I look nice.