Chapter 4

"So..." Tina begins as she passes me my bag.

"So?" I question as I fix the order of books in my bag.

"You got picked up by Jai huh" Tina winks at me.

I can feel my face heating up.

"Oh hush, you know it's not like that, he's with Zara" I mumble.

Tina rolls her eyes, "And? They fight every other week, their relationship is so inconsistent, Zara is only in it for the appearances but everyone knows Jai wants something serious. Maybe you could give it to him" she leans forward, giving me a serious look.

I shake my head, "Inconsistent or not, they seem happy, I do like him but I don't want to break them up" I can feel my face reddening further.

"You and your morals" Tina rolls her eyes and then smiles again "but that's why I love you."

I smile back.

"Anyway..." Tina begins as she plops down on the seat next to me, "your team ended up winning after all."

I look at her surprised, "winning?" I ask her, my voice carrying the disbelief I felt.

"Yeah, apparently Rahul just walked out of the match after you fell down. Without him on the opposite team, it was an easy win with Jai on your team."

"He just walked out? No one stopped him? Coach or his team members?" I ask.

"Who knows, you know he barely comes anyway, god knows when he'll be back again" Tina sighs.

I pat Tina's shoulder, "he'll be back soon, no need to be so sad."

Tina gives me a sad smile, "I don't even know why I even care, he barely acknowledges my presence."

I feel a sad pang in my heart, "Looks like we're both hopeless in terms of love huh."

"Looks like it" Tina laughs as she finally looks happy again.

~

Tina helps me out to my mum's car as ma fills out the 2 day leave form from school.

"You better call me everyday to let me know you're okay or I'll show up at your house in the middle of the night" Tina instructs me, face serious.

"Yes I know, I know."

"Also make sure to not put too much pressure on your ankle, I've already put the crutches Jane lent you in the car's trunk, you better use them every time you get out of bed" Tina continues.

"You've told me that three times now" I tell her, tilting my head to the right.

"Yes and you never listen- I'm serious Anjali, if you're not back in two days, I will start living at your house until you're better again" Tina mentions, nudging her index finger into my shoulder playfully.

"Got it mom" I salute.

"Oh, be quiet" Tina laughs.

Ma walks out the school doors and makes her way down to the courtyard, where the car is parked. And as soon as she sees Tina and I, she pulls Tina in for a hug.

"Oh hello beta, how are you?" she asks Tina as they pull away, ma rests her hands on Tina's shoulders, smiling lovingly at her.

"I'm all good Aunty, I've missed you so much" Tina pouts.

"Ahem, ahem, you still have a daughter who has a very swollen ankle right now ma" I tease.

"Alright, alright, get into the car" ma laughs.