Chapter 21

Ma has called me for the 2nd time in the last hour to remind me to give Tina all the gifts her and Pammi aunty packed.

It is also my 2nd time explaining that I have been dressing in all the sarees and matching jewellery they packed for the wedding rituals.

After wishing her goodnight for the 5th time this night, I toss the phone on the bed before following suit, landing on my back.

I stare at the ceiling fan as it finishes a slow circle. I contemplate turning it off but find myself unwilling to move.

The cool breeze coming from the open balcony door gently caresses my ankles.

I turn to my side and face the open balcony door, letting the breeze tease through my hair and brush over my skin.

I still my breathing and focus on the soft hum of the crickets' song instead as the events of the day play out in my head.

Rahul and I had remained under that gazebo until the rain had finally subsided, with him drinking my coffee as his featherlight touch still encased my wrist. I had almost forgotten that he was holding my hand until he'd finished drinking the coffee completely.

"I'm done drinking Sharma, there's no need to press the cup to my lips anymore" he smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes as heat rushed up to my cheeks, I looked to the side as I mumbled, "You're still a bully."

He grinned as he leaned back on the bench, "My my, looks like Miss. Sharma still likes to mumble rather than speaking out loud."

I had turned around so fast at the remark.

"Here, you want to hear me loud and clear? You. Are. Still. A. Bully" I emphasised each word slowly.

"Am I now?" He asked, his voice rolling in a way that caused my heartbeat to ring loudly in my ears.

"Yes" I seethed, suddenly aware of how close we were. I'd unknowingly moved closer to him as had he. Our noses were almost touching.

"Care to elaborate how?" Rahul whispered, his eyes lingering on my lips.

I swallowed, it seemed as if I couldn't breathe all of a sudden.

"No" I whispered back, my own gaze dipping to his lips. I flicked my gaze back to his eyes. My heart thrummed as his eyes remained transfixed on my lips, I leaned forward slightly as his head inched towards mine ever so slightly and then all of a sudden his eyes met mine again. I moved back so quickly I almost fell off the bench. He leaned forward instinctively. His left arm wrapped around my waist as his right hand held onto my left arm. My head was spinning and my heartbeat was thrumming loudly in my ears. He could've said anything to me right then and I wouldn't have heard him. My chest rose and fell as I tried to control my breathing, my mind blank.

My thoughts came rummaging back as he started to pull away. His arms and hands untangled themselves from me.

"Goodnight Sharma" he mumbled, as he turned away, avoiding any eye contact, running his hand through his hair. He didn't wait for me to reply.

"Goodnight" I whispered to his disappearing silhouette. A sudden feeling of loss and emptiness spread in my chest.

— — — — — — — — — —

I groan aloud and facepalm as I realise what's happened, I almost kissed him. Again.

I groan again as I find that I'm not grossed out by the idea as I'd like but instead actually curious as to how it would feel.

I sit up in a rush, my face feels so hot right now. I sigh as I walk over to the open door leading to the balcony. My mind is astray. A feeling of confusion etched deep in my veins.