Chapter 16

"Jai?"

Jai's hold on me finally loosens, I slump to the ground, huddling my knees to my chest protectively.

I don't need to look up to know that the person who called out to Jai is Zara.

I can feel Zara's gaze on me, I can hear voices in the background, nothing makes its way to my ears, a ringing sounds in them, my mind awry.

I feel someone walking towards me, I don't look up until a hand rests on my shoulder. I shrink away from the touch, wincing as my shoulder comes into contact with the thorny vines again.

It's Zara. Her eyes widen as she takes me in.

Her eyes that were blazing with anger earlier are now welling up with tears as her fingers trace the bite mark on my neck, right above my collarbone. She looks at my face, tilting it slightly with her fingers, I grimace as a pain shoots through my cheek. Her eyes find mine again, tears trail down her cheeks, she sniffs as she removes the shawl wrapped around her arms loosely. She wraps it around me, I shiver under her gentle touch. I can't look at her. A guilt springs up in my chest, leaving me breathless. Jai. Her Jai had done this.

She pulls me into a hug, I try to fight it before relaxing into her comforting touch. My heartbeat slows down, I stay still, listening to her rhythmic heartbeat.

"Zara...I, damn it" Jai's walking close again, he seems to be slightly more sober now. He runs his hand through his hair as he comes to a stop a few feet from us. I lay completely still in Zara's arms, unaware of what to do now. Zara starts breathing hard, her lip is curled into a snarl.

And all of a sudden she pushes me back, there are still tears in her eyes, "Why?" she asks.

I stare at her incredulously, not sure what she is asking me about.

"Why?" she repeats, however, she doesn't give me the time to ask her anything as a stinging pain burns my left cheek, she had slapped me.

I look up at her with tears in my eyes, only to find hers burning with the same emotion as mine, she grips the shawl around me with both hands, "Why Anjali, why did you let him do that? Why" she yells out, tears falling down her eyes uncontrollably, "Why" she shrieks, she pulls me up harshly as she grips the shawl tighter and stands up. I look at her with tears in my eyes, I can tell she's hurt. She drags me over to Jai, I try to pry my hand free of hers, I don't want to be anywhere near him. She only tightens her hold on my hand, coming to a stop in front of him. She turns towards me, leaning into me, I draw back in fear, she reaches out for my hair, pulling a bobby pin out, "Why didn't you do something? Why didn't you fight back Anjali?" She's a mess by now, tears trailing down her face, her mascara streaking her face. She lunges at Jai, gripping his collar in her hands, she shakes him, "Why the hell did you do that?" she screams, she grips the bobby pin she pulled out from my hair tightly.

Before either me or Jai has any time to react she pierces the pin in his shoulder, he winces, there's blood staining his shirt when she pulls away, his jacket discarded somewhere. She lunges at him again, he doesn't stop her as she pricks it in his arm again, once she backs away again, he pulls her in, she fights back initially, he's crying too. I whimper as the scene plays out in front of me. He pulls her in a hug, she tries to pry herself free but gives in eventually as he hugs her tight, he's kissing her everywhere, her temple, her cheeks, he kisses the tears away from her eyes.

It's different from the way he kissed me.

There is no roughness in his kisses, they are gentle, tender kisses. He's kissing her over and over again, she's crying, she lets her head fall onto his shoulder. He caresses her hair, "Shh...shh" he whispers in her hair.