Chapter 19

We spent the day like that. We had sex again, savoring one another as if our life depended on it. Now we stayed cuddled up under the covers staring at the ceiling.

"I don't want to go to this meeting."

Paul readjusted so he could look down at me. His hair was a mass and his blue eyes were wide and full of love.

"We don't have a choice. All remaining victors are to go."

I snuggled into his side.

"They know about Marie, what if they hurt her because of her grandfather. She didn't do anything wrong."

Paul pulled me closed.

"No, she didn't, she won't get hurt."

A knot formed in my stomach.

"I don't have a good feeling about this."

Paul leaned back moving his guise to the ceiling.

"Neither do I."

I laced our fingers and we stayed like that until I choose to move. I sat up stretching, a bit soar from our playing around. I got up putting on undergarments and a simple blue dress. The color I wore to my reaping and as Kit. Me. Not the color I am forced into but the color that was like a clear blue sky. I turned to see Paul putting on a new button-down. I laughed a little as the other was on the floor, from our...earlier activities. A knock sounded at the door and Katniss opened the door and peeked inside. When I saw the girl I smiled. She looked at me shocked before coming over and giving me a hug. It seemed she needed it more than me so I wrapped my arms around her as any loving mother would. I knew Cato was still with the kids, probably staying with them until after the meeting.

"I don't want to go to this meeting."

I sighed and pulled away from the young archer.

"None of us do, but we have to. Speaking of which we should head down so we are not late."

We walked to the round dining room table. Good and bad memories hit me with a force. We were not the last ones here. I saw Ebinora and was quick to run into her arms.

"Oh, Kit. I am so sorry. I wanted to take you with me."

I tightened my grip on her, signaling for her to shut up. I released the tears in my eyes. I looked over to a Beetee that was in a wheelchair. I went to him giving him a hug.

"I never got to compliment you on the technology you built for the rebels."

The man stayed silent. I looked to see Jo, Finn, and Annie, all next to each other. More tears sprung as I went to the two girls engulfing them in a hug.

"I am so sorry."

Their hugs tightened and then Coin walked in ruining the moment. I went back to Paul's side. A bad feeling was blooming again. I really did not like that woman. We all took a seat around the table. The remaining victors. Me, Paul, Jo, Finn, Katniss, Mitch, Peeta, Ebinora, Annie and Beetee. We looked at the women. I knew what she was going to say, I wasn't going to like it. Paul grabbed my hand under the table. I grabbed Annies, wanting to keep their girl calm. She gave me a grateful squeeze which brought a smile to my face.

"I have invited you all here for several reasons, but first, I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honor of declaring myself interim president of Panem."

I scoffed. As this woman. I was going to kill this bitch. Haymitch must have been on the same wavelength. He scuffed and looked at the women in disbelief.

"Interim? Exactly how long is the interim?"

The woman turned to him with a tight smile.

"We have no way of knowing for certain. But it's clear that people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right. But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon, we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, peacekeepers, tortures, game-makers. But the danger is, once we begin, the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. Thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy..."