15. The heart wants

February '2023

The next morning, Daman parked her car and stepped out as the car door from two spots next to her's opened and she had the feeling of what she was about to face when she walked out.

"Good morning, Dr. Daman." Ekansh said as she turned and pointed a finger to his face.

"Don't you dare ruin my morning. Not today." She said and walked towards the building as he stood there wondering what was wrong.

His first instinct was to ask her if everything with Tejas and her parents was okay, but he just shrugged it to be PMS or her periods and decided to stay out of her way for a week.

As much as he wanted to get her flowers, chocolates and ice cream, he also wanted to stay alive and well respected in the university. He knew her hormones, her mood swings and her rage during that time of the month and steered clear of it.

He was right. Daman had woken up with red spot on her pj's, bedsheet and had to do the washing before cooking meals and getting Tejas ready and driving to their respective destinations. After her pregnancy, she didn't PMS much and it was usually a surprise on the 28th day but she bled like a cow stabbed in the jugular with cramps that made her want to lie in fetal position all day.
She completed some work, took a class and was almost ready for lunch when her phone rang.

"I'm back." Samayra spoke on the other end.

"I needed you yesterday when the daycare was closed. I don't need you anymore." She said about to hang up.

"I'll make dinner." She spoke on the other end and that made Daman pause.

"Not good enough." She said.

"Okay, I'll bring Ishleen to cook and we all can chat." Samayra said referring to her younger sister-in-law who was a very good friend to both of them as well.

"At 6?" Daman asked.

"Yeah, do you have ibuprofen, heat patches or that decade old heating pad?" Samayra asked.

"Why do you... Oh... Was i rude?" Daman asked realizing how Samayra had guessed her condition.

"Verrryy..." She spoke.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight." Daman said as they greeted each other with friendly obscenities and hanged up.

Daman didn't see Ekansh that evening when she left, even though she looked at his car still parked. She picked up her son from the new daycare and drove to her house.

She opened the door and smiled at the scent of french eucalyptus candles in the house as Samayra walked out with a bottle of wine.

"Oh... The second most important thing in my life..." Daman said walking towards Samayra and took the wine bottle from her hand as Samayra stood their expecting a hug, but was left with a poker face.

"Hehehe..." Tejas chuckled as his aunt Samayra dismissed his mom and picked him up. He knew he was the first in his mother's life and that was not up for discussion.

"How's school?" She asked and he smiled.

"I went to a new daycare today." He said as she settled with him on the couch for all the toddler gossip from play way.

"And he was like, I didn't eat your Pringles. But then..." Tejas was narrating a story as Daman sat on the kitchen shelf chatting with Ishleen.

"Where's Raunak? You should have brought her." Daman asked, sipping on the glass of wine referring to Ishleen's 8 month old daughter.

"It's a daddy daughter day for them. They are two beans in one pod." She answers as Daman smiles and look up from the kitchen island at Samayra chatting with Tejas.