40. Loyal

"Moooommmm... I love horsiieess." Tejas announced running to his mother in the heated stables, as she stood waiting in her off white salwar suit lined from the corners with a tiny royal blue embroidery on the borders of her shirt and sleeves. She had a dupatta on her head firmly set and her hair tied in a high bun.

The minimalist jewelry included a gold chain and medium sized golden studs in the shape of a knot.

Ekansh walked behind Tejas, in his little new riding outfit and Ekansh in his breeches that hugged the muscles of his well built legs.

"You look like a queen." He said putting an arm around her as she picked up Tejas and blushed.

"Someone will see us." She whispered as he chuckled.

"And I'll deal with them." He said and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"So, what were you saying about horses?" Ekansh asked, settling back Tejas' into his snow jacket and headgear to keep him warm.

"I love them. Why doesn't mom like them?"

"She fell off a horse." Ekansh says as Tejas' mouth opens wide.

"You did?" He asks, as she shook her head.

"No, I just... I am allowed to have my favorites. And horses aren't on the top." She says as Tejas looks at Ekansh.

"Diana is beautiful." He says, still in adoration of the fourlegged chestnut beauty walking away with a helper.

"She's also very maternal and made sure the ride was smooth for you, little one." He says kissing Tejas' red cheek from the cold outside.

"Now, let's get you inside and warm." She said as he shook his little head.

"Ekansh said we can feed them." He says as the servant clears his throat choking on his expression of disagreement.

"It's Kunwar Ekansh, honey. Please be respectful." Daman says, understanding the awkwardness as Ekansh shook his head.

"No worries. He can call me whatever he wants. Best buddies, right?" He said fisting as Tejas little fist met his.

"Let's go feed them." He says as Daman shook her head.

"You're spoiling him." She said in a low whisper, as he smiled taking Tejas from his mother.

"He deserves all the love and spoiling in the world." He said kissing the side of his forehead, as they walked into the stables that housed some of the national and international  champions.

"He also expects consistency." She says and bit the inside of her cheek.
She had been trying to keep the sarcasm to a minimum, but it wasn't helpful. Sometimes, she would say something that would hurt him, without the intention of hurting him.

"Sorry." She says and turned to walk away as his hand wrapped around her wrist.

"It's okay. I deserve it. Please stay?" He says as she shakes her head.

"I... I should go. Have fun both of you." She said as he let go of her hand and she walked back to the palace.

She exited the stables, on a concrete path through the garden with a variety of flowers, she had barely seen before. The tulips were her favorite part. She stopped and inhaled the scent as she sniffed the roses, with the direction of the wind bringing them to her.

Inspite of the cold early mornings and nights, spring was approaching and the Garden told the story.

She turned away from the tulips that seemed like on fire and looked at the row of roses of shades of pink.

She was doing this?
She was giving up her career and letting another man take care of her responsibilities. She thought it would be easy. It would feel natural.

It didn't.

She had to keep her feet on the ground and her head held high for this to work. She had to move on from Sangram and let Ekansh step in.

It did feel natural when Ekansh was around, but without him normal chores seemed like burden and she couldn't figure out why she was doing this.

But was it right, if she had to force herself in it?

Her thoughts were distracted when her phone rang. It was a facetime call from Samayra. She smiled and picked it up.

"Hey bestie." she said glowing the maternity glow as Daman smiled.

"How was the ultrasound?" She said coming straight to the point.

"Everything normal and healthy." Samayra said as Ambar jumped in the back.

"You're still at the palace?" He asked as she nodded and gave them a sneakpeak of the garden.

"Oh, I've seen that garden from afar and it's... Breathtaking and in this season with spring at the brink... Wow.." Samayra said, as Daman nodded.

"It's beautiful here." She said as Samayra looked at Ambar who understood the gesture and decided to leave them alone.

"Okay, spill.. What's wrong?" Samayra said, as Daman switched off the video and put the phone to her ear.

"Why doesn't it feel natural?" Daman asked, as Samayra smiled.

"Remember what you told me, when I moved in the hostel in my first year and you were in your second. Home is where your people are. I wanted to leave my studies and run back home to my parents at that time and on my last day, I remember how I controlled my tears. It will take some time Daman. It's a big change. But you have to make up your mind. Do you want this? If yes, things will be better. If not, take the next flight available and I'll be waiting with a bottle of vodka."

She said, as Daman changed the topic to the exclusive collection in the Royal winery and bar, knowing well Samayra couldn't drink as of yet.

Then she disconnected and went back to the house, as Ekansh's mom walked in with three maids.

"Daman here you are, what would Tejas like for dinner?" She asked, and before Daman could think of something, Ekansh walked in with Tejas sitting on his shoulders.

"We're cooking today. We'll decide what we want to eat." He said, as Daman frowned.

"Let Kunwar cook for us tonight." Ekansh's mom said with a wave of her  hand dismissing the two, and told the third to change the fresh flowers in the foyer.

"Why are 'WE' cooking?" She asked, as Ekansh looked towards his forehead, where Tejas' chin rested. He looked guilty.

"Because Tejas said, men CAN help, but cooking is a woman's job." Ekansh said as Tejas whined.

"Tej?" Daman said, visibly hurt.

"But Ruby aunty cooks for Aman uncle, Reena aunty, Ishleen aunty at aunt Sammy's house so..." He says, as Ekansh blinks in a soft gaze, telling Daman to calm down.

"So... We are changing that. Where's dad?" Ekansh asked, looking at his mother.

"He went to the CM house, must be back soon." She says, as Ekansh waves his hand.

"Tell him I'm planning to make Dum aalo biryani and he needs to get his special raita sorted." Ekansh says as Tejas chimes in.

"What will I do?" He asks.

"Take the peas out of the pods and I'll put the boiled potatoes in ice water, so you can peel them without burning your little hands... And then you will mash them too. Got it?" Ekansh says as Tejas looked beyond excited.

"I can..." Daman goes to say as Ekansh shook his head.

"Strictly no ladies in the kitchen tonight." he says aa his mother whispers in her ear.

"I'll make some calls and arrange a spa session upstairs."

++++++++++