Fifteen

Wendy told me that if I want a morning job, I should get a chill job so I'm not so exhausted at training. I agreed but there doesn't seem to be a lot of jobs that offer that kind of work. At least near the apartment complex.

I click my tongue with frustration as we step out of a grocery store. "This is stupid."

"Hey now," Wendy says. "We'll find one. Let's keep looking."

Determination stays on her expression as she looks around with me. I steal a glance at her and smile seeing how serious she is at helping me out. She could be in bed right now or taking a warm shower, but she's here with me. My heart melts at this gesture and I gently say, "Thank you, unnie. You have always been so kind to me. From the very start."

Wendy does her warm smile and gives me a quick side hug before gasping. I follow her gaze and see a wide smile appear on her lips. My own heart jumps at the last store that's nearby.

A music store.

"This is the one," she excitedly says. "I can feel it!"

We happily enter the store and I'm taken back home. It's just like the one I used to go to after school sometimes. Instruments and the smell of wood surrounds me. I happily do a small turn when I look around and nod with approval.

Wendy also starts to admire the place and the different instruments. I look over at the hidden corner where the cash register lies on a glass counter. There's no one standing on the other side of the counter but I can see someone crouching down. Then they straighten their back and I see a man with features similar to the one Irene usually has. A gentle but firm look.

He's quite handsome with brown hair similar to Wendy's hair and the typical Korean two-block cut with bangs parted to let his forehead peek. He gives off soldier-like vibes with his straight posture and dark eyes until he gives me a small smile.

His eyes brighten as they land on Wendy from afar. He watches her for a moment without an expression for me to understand what he's thinking. Then he goes back to a computer on the side of the register.

"Hello. How may I help you?"

I look back to see another man come up to me with a warm smile. Wendy also comes by without noticing the quiet man stealing glances at her from his computer.

"Hi," I say with a small bow. "I was wondering if you guys are hiring for morning shift."

"Oh. Not really but we could use extra hands here. When can you start?"

A surprised smile starts on my lips as the man takes out a piece of paper. "Wait. Really?"

"Yes. Write down your number here for me and your availability. I'll get to you soon."

"Thank you so much." Wendy and I exchange happy smiles before I go to the glass counter to quickly write down my information. I hear Wendy give the man another formal thank you before coming to stand by me.

I look for a pen in my bag but Wendy is quick to solve my problem as she turns to the quiet man still on his computer. "Excuse me? Do you have a pen I can use?"

The quiet man looks back at her and she seems to truly take him in for the first time. A slight of a blush starts on her cheeks and she does the slightest side smile as he takes a pen from his side of the counter. He hands it to her and she is speechless. She can only do a small nod and give me the pen.

I can't help but watch her for a moment as she tries her hardest to keep her eyes everywhere else but at the quiet man. While the quiet man tries his hardest to concentrate on his computer only to fail and keep stealing glances at her.