Thirty Eight

I was surprised to see Wendy with her own music on the side, but I guess that's normal in the music industry. Wendy is an amazing singer. I shouldn't be surprised that producers ask her to sing for their TV shows. Joy will also have her own music soon since a drama is being filmed and they asked her to sing for their soundtrack. I told her that I would watch it just to hear her song in it.

But it's been difficult to even find time to watch TV. I would think that after training is over, I would have more time to relax but the boss was not kidding that the real action starts the moment we debut our first album. Since our single and our mini album release, our songs have been buzzing. I find myself getting ready for interviews around South Korea. Nerves still creep in but then a member comes to help me accommodate my outfit and give me strength.

My first interview was scary. The members took me away from all the makeup artists and stylists to give me a piece of advice. Irene fixed my collar as Wendy gave me a warm smile.

"Yerimie. This is your first time letting the world hear your thoughts. Remember. It's okay to be honest and be yourself, but everything you say will stay recorded forever. You will probably find it everywhere on social media, too, since you are the new member of Red Velvet."

"Don't read the comments for now," Joy then said with her sweet smile.

Their words stirred new nerves inside of me and Irene saw right through me. She let her serious expression turn soft and briefly ran an affectionate finger under my chin. "Let's do this. Together."

Small words from our leader that gave us all strength to step out. It wasn't so bad, but I was extremely self conscious of what I said. Eventually, by the third interview, I felt more confident. Thankfully, Seulgi and Wendy speak more than the rest of us there. Wendy's easy going personality really helps relieve any tension that could start up in an interview.

But when I thought I could find silence after the interview rounds, we started on our complete album after the first mini album was released. At least I found strength in my mother one night when she called me. I could hear the genuine happiness in her voice as she told me that she watched the music videos for Ice Cream Cake and Automatic. She said she was proud of me and it made me cry.

Joy was the first to come out of her room when she heard my crying. "Yerimie...no. Don't cry, Yerimie. You're going to make me cry..."

I heard her sniffle on my shoulder as she wrapped warm arms around me from behind. I held her hand on my chest and slowly each member came to comfort me. It was then that we decided to have a small break before going on the tour. At the same time, we celebrated the release of our first complete album and the video release of Dumb Dumb.

We sit at the patio behind our apartment building. I look at the area where my heart grew fond of the silent shine coming from Chan. I smiled at the memory and suddenly missed him. After this week, I won't see him until after Thanksgiving. Wait. Seoul doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.

"I'm so excited for this tour, guys." Wendy speaks up after a moment of peaceful silence.

"Mm," Joy says in agreement by my side. "It'll be different this time."

"Yerimie will be with us this time." Seulgi gives me her sweet smile that makes her eyes small.

My heart melts at their warm smiles as I say, "I'm excited, too. How long will this tour take?"

"We should be back before Christmas I think," Irene says after taking a sip of her tea.

"So about three months," I sadly say. I regret sounding slightly sad when Joy notices quickly.