Sixteen

I don't understand why Chan has been so indifferent with me. I try to bring back that sweet smile but he no longer gives it to me. He got even scarier when Dan came to visit me at work once. He treated him with such firmness and anger.

Dan was getting angry at the customer service so I lied to him that it's because we've had a long afternoon. At least Chan was able to give me more hours. It's the least he can do since he's been so rude lately.

Other than that, I also started working at the music shop. I absolutely love it there. I get to tune instruments and set them up for customers. I am able to recommend instruments to customers about the best options for them. That's my favorite part. Seulgi says that customer service comes easy for me since I am too friendly sometimes. I only giggled at her tease and stepped out to go to work.

The person that has also liked to go to work with me is Wendy. She's deemed to be my chauffeur for my morning job. At first I thought it was because she was being nice, but then I noticed she would stay a little by the register. The quiet man from before comes by at a specific time. Around 10:00 AM. He comes by every other day to check on the studios and it's machines. He works on the software of this place and fixes instruments.

That's when Wendy stays and pretends to roam around. I couldn't help but quietly giggle when I realized that she's only here for him. He also seems to come earlier. He slowly drinks his coffee and steals glances at Wendy. They were like this for a few days. I was about to push Wendy towards him one day so she can break their awkward cycle already, but he came in early one morning with two cups of coffee. Wendy was just passing by and he hesitated for a moment. I stopped organizing the drumset from afar to watch.

He gave it deep thought on the best way to approach her. Wendy was genuinely distracted with an acoustic guitar until she looked up at the soft sounds of his footsteps. I caught my breath and I watched her do the same. He handed the extra cup of coffee to her and said, "Hello. I went to my usual coffee shop and they accidentally made two of my coffees. So they gave me the other for free. Would you like to have it?"

Wendy gently took the coffee from him and gave him that warm smile of hers. Then he smiled. The first genuine smile I've seen on him as she gently said, "Thank you. What coffee is it?"

They finally started talking and I covered my mouth with a smile before I celebrated. My heart let me do a mental celebration for Wendy as I continued working.

Ever since, he seems to come earlier just to say hi to her and finds something to do so he can come everyday now.

Love is in the air. I can feel it like dandelions flying among the breeze when Chan lets me have Saturday off. I could kiss him. I gave him an excited hug and he only gave me a gentle tap  on my back.

"Right," he said. "Be safe, okay?"

He sounded so sad and I let my smile fall. "What's wrong, Chan? Was it something I said?"

His eyes shine with a millions words left unsaid. But he only gives me a tight smile and sadly says, "I'm okay. I'll miss you on Saturday. You're one of the best we got."

"Just for a night. I promise."

He gave me a small nod and we quietly turned back to our errands. Then he stopped me from walking past him by gently taking my wrist. It was the first time I've let his skin touch mine. It was a warm sizzle running up my skin when he let go of my wrist too quickly and said, "I'm sorry if I made you feel like I pushed you aside this week. I just...I want you to be happy. Have fun for me."

My heart has been uncomfortable from his sudden indifference this whole week. It finally takes a breath as I give him a sweet smile. "You should take a day off, too. You work too much."