Kabanata 50

"THE LOST ITEM will only shorten the years of the person's life who made the change."

Binalot ng katahimikan ang paligid. Napaisip si Thad. Art's repeating dream makes sense. There is a higher possibility that it was the other future that awaits them if he decides to change a few seconds of the past. He could give them that future if he insists.

"Pero hindi natin alam kung ilang taon ang ibabawas ng oras," basag ni Iesus.

"Art had this repeating dream," simula ni Thad. He immediately got Iesus' attention. He continued, "In that dream, he sees me looking at one of Sanna's paintings. I'm assuming that it was Sanna's art exhibit dahil binanggit ni Art na punong-puno raw ng art works ng mommy niya ang lugar."

"And what happened next?"

"Lumapit siya sa'kin, tignan niya ang painting na tinitignan ko, but he said I didn't notice him. Until we both heard his mother's voice. Sabay kaming napatingin sa likod... and Art said, I looked startled to see both of them. Maybe it was the other future."

"Is that the reason why you wanted to talk to me?"

Tumango si Thad. "Aurea's words makes sense now." Sinalubong niya ang mga mata ni Iesus. "She saw two different paths. Ang sabi niya, dalawang buhay ang nakikita niya sa anak ko. Isang magtatapos agad at isang magsisimula pa lang. Nakasalalay ang magiging sagot sa desisyon ng mga taong nagmamahal kay Art. Art's fate ended early because of Sanna's choice in the past. Pero may kakayahan akong ibigay kay Art ang pagkakataon na mabuhay siya nang mas matagal. I remembered what James said, nasa sa amin ni Sanna ang sagot. This is the answer we've been looking for."

"A sacrifice."

Tumango si Thad.

"Sa nakalipas na taon, wala akong ibang hinangad kundi ang makita si Sanna at makahingi ng tawad. I tried moving on – forgetting the past. Pero sa tuwing tinatalikuran ko lahat ng mga alaala namin, mas lalo lang bumibigat dito."

Inilapat ni Thad ang isang kamay sa bandang dibdib. Mapait siyang napangiti pagkatapos.

"I've lived 9 years of my life regretting the decision I did." Ramdam ulit ni Thad ang pag-iinit ng sulok ng kanyang mga mata. The pain already bore inside his soul. He will never get used to this pain. "I thought success can conceal all the pain I have kept in myself, but all it gives me is temporary healing. I still find myself lost in the decisions I did in the past."

Thad paused before speaking again.

"You know what I call myself, Sus? A lighthouse. I've been here for the longest time and I've witnessed all the pain of those people I've loved. When everyone is growing and moving on. I'm still here, stuck in the same place, waiting for everyone to come home..."

DAY 41

THAD DECIDED TO visit his father. He may cut his connection with his father, but it's not difficult to find him. His father, despite his age, remained successful as an architect. Although he didn't expect his father will accept his short notice invitation, but he was glad that he didn't reject him this time.

Pagkapasok pa lang ni Thad sa lobby ng building ng Apostol Designs ay bumalik sa kanya lahat ng mga alaala na mayroon siya sa building na 'yon. Those were the proud moments of his life... the fulfilment of a little boy's dream. But those proud moments were also the reason why he failed to protect the future of his loved ones.

So much has changed since he got here, but it was still the same building that reminded him of his painful past.

Bumuga ng hangin si Thad at naglakad sa direksyon ng elevator. He didn't need to inform the receptionist. His father is already expecting him.