Chapter 4

*Kay's POV*

Kayley, I'm sorry. But we had to leave, something happened. We'll explain everything when we return.

Don't miss us too much

We promise to have a great big special surprise for your birthday the moment we return

Yours truly,

Gred and Forge

I smiled at the letter I had received a few days ago, I hadn't written back-I didn't know what to say and I knew that George would see if I meant for it to go to Fred or vice versa so I didn't reply. I still didn't know what to do about George...a part of me wanted to tell him I fancied him and to let adventure take over but a bigger part told me it wasn't right-not with a war beginning, not when I was meant to live alone for the rest of my life. At least that's what I believed.

Today was Christmas and not many students had stayed here this year, possibly twenty of us remained. Today also happened to be my birthday, my sixteenth birthday. Usually I was a bit happier but not this year, my mother died four years ago and my father died almost a year ago, and being an only child I have no one celebrate it with. My relatives were all spread out and I lived alone in my Aunt Marcy's summer home. Until I made friends I never really did anything special,  but since I met the twins they made sure I had something every year. But  they're all gone and hiding at the Order this year. I just wish I could have one person to celebrate it with.

"Happy birthday, Kayley." That was...weird. I turned from my eggs and toast to see Draco standing beside me.

"T-thanks, Draco," I smiled slightly.

"Mind if I join you?" He sat down anyway and took a bit of toast and buttered it.

"I didn't know you were staying," I commented.

"Mother and father are busy at the moment," Draco commented. I raised an eyebrow, I knew exactly who Draco's parents were and anytime I heard they were busy...it could only mean trouble. "Why are you here? You usually go home."

I shrugged, "my dad had to go on a trip." No one knew about my father's death, to the rest of the students, they know that I'm a pureblood and came in late due to my mother's health and that I lived with my father now. I didn't want anyone to know the truth, didn't want the pity of peers. I wanted to remain the imagine of the strong Gryffindor people thought I was.

"And I see no Weasleys in sight, so what will you do for your birthday then?"

"Homework in a well secluded part of the library," I shrugged before taking a bite of eggs. Draco looked appaled,  "what would you have me do then?"

Draco took a drought of pumpkin juice, savoring the taste and nodding, "I can think of a few things that much better."

"Oh no, I don't trust you one bit, Draco," I shook my head.

"I suppose you shouldn't...but, what other option do you have?"

"I don't want to waste your day," I stated.

Draco chuckled, shaking his head.

"Then what are we doing?" I asked expectantly.

Draco shrugged, "whatever we feel like."

***

"So this is what the Slytherin common room looks like."

"If you wait around long enough, you may see the giant squid."

I jumped on one of the leather couches beside the fire, it was surprisingly plush. "Now what?"

Draco sat down across from me, "don't know." He paused for a moment, "did you get any gifts yet?"