Chapter Seven: The Bathtub

Y/n's POV

"Okay, so explain this all to me again," I request as I climbed into the backseat of Joyce's car. Hopper was in the driver's seat, Joyce was in the passenger's, and Jonathan, Nancy, and I were now squeezed into the back. I had gotten a frantic phone call from Nancy not even minutes prior telling me to meet her outside, and while she had given me a brief explanation of what was happening, I was still a little confused.

"Hopper and Joyce both know about the creature we saw, the demogorgon, and they agree with us. That thing is definitely what's been taking everyone. However, we're not really worried about that right now seeing as there is literally a manhunt for Mike, Dustin, and Lucas. Apparently they've been hiding this girl who has superpowers, and according to the government, she's super dangerous. So our current focus is on finding them before Hawkins Lab does first," Nancy rushed out.

"Right. Because that all makes current sense," I mutter and lean back in my seat.

"Look, is there any place that the kids might have gone?" Hopper quizzed and turned to look at all of us.

"Well, I don't know where he is, but I think I know how to ask him," Jonathan put forth. "We've got to get back to my house." The Byer's house was, well, a wreck. Christmas lights were strung up everywhere, there was a boarded up hole on the outside wall, and it looked like a tornado had blown through it. But Jonathan didn't even seem phased and rushed into Will's bedroom, coming back with a walkie talkie, which he handed to Nancy.

"Mike, are you there? It's Nancy. I need you to answer," Nancy instructed, but got no response. "This is an emergency, Mike. Do you copy?"

"Let me try," I say and take the walkie talkie. "Mike, this is Y/n. This is a code red. I repeat, this is a code red. If you're there, please pick up. We know you're in trouble, and we know about the girl. We've got Chief Hopper here, and he can protect you. We can help you, but you gotta pick up. Do you copy?"

"Yeah, I copy," Mike responded. "It's Mike. We're here."

..........................................

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat. Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space. A gate. That we tracked to Hawkins Lab. With our compasses," Dustin revealed. "The gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass needle."

"Is this gate underground? Near a large water tank?" Hopper questioned.

"Yes," Eleven responded. Eleven was interesting, to say the least. Her hair was buzzed down to her scalp, and she didn't talk often. When she did, it was in short phrases. It was almost like she had never learned how to talk properly. Oh, and she also really had superpowers, which I guess is cool, but kind of terrifying at the same time.

"Is there any way that you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in the Upside Down?" Joyce pushed.

Eleven nodded. "I can find them in the bath." Dustin then called Mr. Clarke, the middle school science teacher, and with his help, we knew what we needed to build a sensory deprivation tank. It was simple. We just needed a pool and salt. 1,500 pounds, to be specific. While most of us went to the middle school gym to set up the kitty pool, Jonathan and Hopper went out to go find the salt. As the boys were helping fill up the pool, I went out to find Nancy, and I found her seat against the wall in the nearest hallway. 

"Hey," I greet and slide down next to her. "Can we talk for a sec?"

"Sure. What's up?" Nancy asked.

"I'm sorry about what happened with you and Steve," I tell her.

Nancy frowned. "But you hated him."

"Yeah, but you didn't. It was a dick move, spray painting your name on the side of the marquee. And trust me, I want nothing more than to beat his ass too. But I also know that I should put my best friend first. So, once all of this is over, milkshakes are on me," I disclose.

"Milkshakes, huh? Sounds like a plan," Nancy spoke.

"Great!" I cheer and stand up. "Speaking of ice cream, I think I'm gonna go search for some."

"Have fun with that!" Nancy shouted after me as I walked down the hallway. I made my way to the cafeteria and headed straight to the back freezer. And as I was digging around, I found just the thing I was looking for.

"Bingo!" I cheer and pull an ice cream bar out of the freezer.

"Still into sweets, I'm guessing," Jonathan assumed and appeared at the entry way as I took a bite out of the ice cream bar.

"Well, desserts are the best food on the planet," I point out.

"Remember lunchtime back in middle school? I would trade you my twinkie for your pretzels," Jonathan recalled.

"Yeah," I confirm. "Best trade ever. I uh, I'm sorry we drifted apart. We used to be really good friends, and now..."

Jonathan waved me off. "It's okay. And you shouldn't blame yourself for that. Stuff like that just happens. That's life. Lets just be glad we're back together now."

"I guess you're right," I concur. "Are they ready yet?"

"They're already finished, actually," Jonathan replied.

"Wow. That didn't take long," I comment.

"Yeah. Hopper and my mom just left to try and find Will, but uh, Eleven said Barb was gone. Sorry," Jonathan apologized.

"Oh," I breathe out. "Um, how's Nancy feeling? Her and Barb were really close."

"Weren't you good friends with Barb too?" Jonathan inquired.

"Not really. I mean, yes, technically we were friends," I declare. "But it was only because of Nancy. I got to know Barb because Nancy was good friends with her. Obviously I'm sad about her death because what sane person wouldn't be but...And now I'm rambling. Sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Look, the reason I came back here wasn't to tell you that. I mean, it was, but I actually wanted to talk about something else. My mom and Hopper are walking in to fight this like bait. That thing is still in there. Neither Nancy or I want to just sit here and let that happen, so what do you say we go through with our original plan?" Jonathan suggested.

"With the gasoline and bear traps? Hell yeah. I'm in," I agree.