Chapter Four: The Sauna Test

Y/n's POV

"Goddammit!" I curse as the phone went to voicemail. "Heather, it's Y/n, again. Look, I agreed to pick up your shift the other day because you said you were sick, but you ditching today was not cool. I'm trying to work less hours here and spend more time at my other job, but that's kind of hard when you don't show up and put all of your work on me. I had to work a back to back shift today, which is the worst thing I've ever had to suffer through because it was hot as hell today, and I had to work with Adam, who you know I can't stand. I don't know how you do it. Anyways, just give me a call back when you get this. An explanation for what's going on with you would certainly be nice. Thanks. Bye."

"Y/n, honey, you're gonna be late for work," Marilyn alerted me and peaked her head into my bedroom. "Everything okay?"

"Heather didn't show up for work. Again," I tell her. "So I had to take her shift. I'm glad I had this hour break between working at the pool and the mall though, cause otherwise I might've collapsed from exhaustion. Do you mind driving me in? I'm pooped and don't feel like doing it. Steve can just drive me back later."

"Sure," Marilyn replied. "Meet me in the car." I hurriedly put on my Scoops Ahoy uniform, grabbing my backpack once I was ready. After I had all of my things, I exited my room and headed towards the living room, where Jackie was watching TV.

"Bye, Jackie. See you later!" I rush out and hurry out the door. It didn't take long, and before I knew it, my mom dropped me off at the mall. The cool breeze at Scoops felt cool against my skin, and I let out a breath of relief. Robin was slinging ice cream at the counter when I arrived, and she sent me a nod and a small smile.

"Break room, five minutes," Robin notified me.

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun," Dustin explained to Steve, Robin, and I minutes later. "Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"But there's gotta be a way in," Robin pointed out.

"Well, you know, I could just take him out," Steve declared.

Robin raised her eyebrows. "Take who out?"

"The Russian guard," Steve clarified. "I can sneak up behind him, knock him out, and take his keycard. It's easy."

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin asked.

"Yes, Dustin, I did. And that's why I would be sneaking," Steve emphasized.

"Steve, you know I love you," I start and turn to look at my boyfriend. "And because I love you, I'm always honest with you. So I need you to be honest with me right now. Have you ever actually won a fight?"

Steve scoffed. "Okay, that was one time."

"Twice. Jonathan, year prior," I recall.

"Listen, that doesn't count," Steve argued.

"Why wouldn't it? I was there. I saw the whole thing. And Steve, he beat the shit out of you. You had a fat lip, a crooked nose, a swollen eye, and there was a lot of blood," I list off.

"Well now I'm starting to question if you really love me," Steve joked as Robin stood up suddenly and ran into the front of Scoops. I watched as she reached her hand into the tip jar and took all of the cash, leaving only change behind. "Hey, Robin! What are you doing? Only a third of that is yours."

"I need cash," Robin defended. "I'm gonna find a way into that room. A safe way. In the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up. Y/n, can you watch him, please?"