Chapter Six: E Pluribus Unum

Y/n's POV

"This isn't good. This isn't good at all," Dustin voiced and turned to Steve and I. "That's a gate."

"Wait. A gate? Like one that El closed?" I quiz.

Robin frowned. "I don't understand. You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly. All you need to know is it's bad. Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad," Dustin put forth.

"Um, Steve? Where's your Russian friend?" Erica asked and glanced around. It was then that I too noticed the absence of the Russian Steve had just knocked unconscious. Steve opened the entrance we had come in just a crack, but that was all I needed to see a handful of Russians running towards us.

"Shit. Go go go," Steve ordered. All of us took off through another door that led us straight into the room with the giant laser. From here, I couldn't see an escape. And I was so close to the blue ray that was shooting out of the big contraption that I started to fear the worse. What would happen if I fell into that?

"Where do we go now? The Russians are right behind us," I remind everyone.

"This way!" Steve directed and led us down a small staircase that I hadn't seen. We then stumbled into a crossroad where guards were coming at us from one of the paths. Steve shoved his body into a stack of barrels, and they toppled over, hitting the guards and knocking them down. From there, we ran into the next room, but the guards were right on our tail, so Steve stayed at the door and put all of this weight against it in an attempt to keep the Russians out.

"Guys, come on," Dustin urged and waved us over to the vent he had opened. I glanced between him and Steve, and even though I knew that going with Dustin would lead to safety, I couldn't leave Steve behind. I ran back to the door and put my back against it, using all of my strength to push it close.

"Y/n, go with Dustin. Get out of here," Steve instructed.

"And leave you here? No. No way," I oppose. "I'm not abandoning you. We stick together, remember?"

"Y/n," Steve started.

"I'm not leaving," I persist as the guards started to get the upper hand. "Shit! We can't hold this for much longer. Robin!"

"I've got you guys," Robin said and helped us push against the door.

"Come on!" Erica shouted.

"Go! Just get out of here!" Steve demanded. "Go get some help!"

"What are you doing?!" Dustin questioned.

"Just go!" Robin, Steve, and I yelled at the same time.

As soon as Dustin and Erica had disappeared into the vent and shut it behind them, the Russians gained the upper hand. They shoved the door with such force that the three of us went flying. My back hit the wall first, but then my head slammed against the concrete, and everything was fuzzy for a moment. The next thing I know, we're being surrounded by Russians, all who have their guns pointed right at us.

...........................................

"Ugh," I groan and squint my eyes. "My head is killing me."

"I think you may have a concussion," Robin notified me. "You feeling okay?"

"My head is throbbing, I feel dizzy, and my hands are tied," I list off. "So no, I'm not feeling okay. And where the hell is Steve?"

"I don't know," Robin answered. "They took him earlier when you were unconscious. Look, I just need you to stay away, okay? If you have a concussion, you shouldn't be falling asleep."