Chapter Eight: The Battle of Starcourt

Y/n's POV

"Ew!" Erica gagged. "What is that?"

"There's something in there," Mike figured.

"Keep her talking. Keep her awake," Jonathan commanded. "I'll be right back."

"You know, it's not actually that bad. The goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee six inches or something. It was insane," Robin recalled.

"Robin, you're not helping," Steve notified her.

"Right. Sorry," Robin apologized.

"Okay, El? This is gonna hurt like hell, okay?" Jonathan alerted her. "But I need you to stay real still. And here. You're gonna want to bite down on this wooden spoon."

"Oh my god. I can't watch," I murmur and turn away, closing my eyes. I heard a lot of screaming, but when it all stopped, I turned back around to see a little slug looking things crawling away. Before it could get very far though, someone stepped on it. And that someone was Hopper, who had appeared with Joyce and a man I knew to be Murray.

"Okay, what the hell is going on here?" Hopper asked. Before beginning to explain the colossal disaster going on, we all moved over to the fountain. I took a seat against one of the planters that was built into the rim of the fountain and brought my legs up so that I could spread out. I held my head in my hands in an attempt to soothe the pounding that was still going on, and while it wasn't as bad as before, I would kill for some Advil.

"The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins to stop El. To kill her and pave a way into our world," Mike explained.

"And it almost did," Max continued. "But that was just one tiny piece of it."

"How big is this thing?" Hopper questioned.

"It's big. Thirty feet, at least," Jonathan estimated.

"Yeah. And it sorta destroyed your cabin," Lucas brought up.

"Okay, so, just to be clear, this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El, it's some kind of gigantic weapon? But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon with melted people," Steve said.

"Yes, exactly," Nancy confirmed.

"Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" Joyce quizzed.

"El beat the shit out of it, but, yeah, it's still alive," Max answered. "But if we close the gate again, we cut the brain off from the body and kill it. Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo! Yoo-hoo!" Murray shouted and approached us with some papers, which he set down in front of us. "Okay, this is what Alexei called 'the hub'. Now, the hub takes us to the vault room, and the gate is right here. I don't know the scale on this, but I think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe 50 feet or so."

"More like 500," Erica corrected. "And, what, you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie Disneyland or something?"

Murray frowned. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"Erica Sinclair. Who are you?" Erica countered.

"Murray Bauman," Murray introduced.

"Listen, Mr. Bauman, I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but I've been down in that shithole for 24 hours. And with all due respect, if you guys do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die," Erica declared.

"I'm sorry, why is this four-year-old speaking to me?" Murray implored.

"Um, I'm ten, you bald bastard!" Erica spit at him.