Chapter Five: Dig Dug

Y/n's POV

"Y/n! Jackie! Dinner is ready!" Marilyn called out.

"Coming!" I shout back as I tucked my navy and white striped sweatshirt into my jeans. After I finished fiddling with my sleeves, I exited my bedroom and headed down to the dining room. My mother was sliding french toast onto the three plates set up around the table, and a bowl of berries along with a bottle of syrup were there as well. As I took my seat, Jackie came bounding down the hall, rushing to put her hair up into a ponytail. "Man, someone's hungry today."

"It's mom's french toast. I'm always hungry when mom is serving french toast," Jackie declared.

"I can't not agree with you," I put forth as I put some strawberries on my french toast before adding some syrup. "But breakfast for dinner? That's an odd choice for today."

"I thought I'd switch things up a bit. So," Marilyn started. "Jackie said you were talking on the phone with Steve yesterday."

"Uh, yeah. That's what friends do," I point out.

"For an hour," Marilyn furthered.

I shrugged. "So we had a lot to talk about."

"Y/n, why don't you just tell him you like him," Marilyn suggested.

"What? Mom, I do not like Steve Harrington. He's just a friend," I defend.

"Uh-huh," Jackie hummed and shoved a piece of food into her mouth. "You two took forever yesterday because you got caught up talking. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does."

"Jackie, stay out of this," I order and turn back to face my mom. "You're only saying that because you want me to get a boyfriend."

"I just want you to be happy," Marilyn shared.

"No, you want me to be like you and dad. But maybe I don't want that. And even if I did like Steve, he's in love with Nancy, who's been my best friend since kindergarten."

"They broke up," Jackie interjected. "Meaning she doesn't like him anymore. I'm sure she'd be okay with it."

"Jackie!" I hiss. "What'd I say? Stay out of this. And that's not the point. Steve doesn't like me that way, okay mom? He never has, and he never will. End of story. But like I said before, I don't have feelings for Steve."

"Except you do," Jackie opposed as the phone in my bedroom started ringing.

"Oh thank god," I breathe out and shoot up from the table. I practically ran away from the dinner table to answer the phone. I didn't want to talk my so called crush on Steve Harrington. I took a seat on the edge of my bed and picked up the phone, holding it up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Y/n, it's Dustin," Dustin rushed out. "I need your help. It's urgent."

I frowned. "Dustin? How'd you even get my number?"

"That's not relevant at the moment. I need you to contact Steve and then get your butts over to my house right now," Dustin instructed.

"So you have my number but not Steve's?" I question.

"Y/n! This is serious," Dustin insisted.

"Okay," I murmur. "I'll walk over to his house now."

"Great. Oh, and remind him to bring his bat," Dustin spoke before hanging up. I hopped off my bed and grabbed my shoes off the floor, slipping them on quickly. I then grabbed my keys, shoved them in my back pocket, and made my way back to the front of the house.

"Mom! I'm going out!" I claim and walk past the dining room to get to the front door. "I'll be back later. Bye!"

.............................................

"Okay, so what's this all about?" Steve asked as I directed him to Dustin's house.

I shrugged. "I don't know. He didn't say. But it sounded like it was pretty urgent. He also said to bring that bat with the nails in it, so part of me is a little concerned."

"You're scared," Steve teased.

"No. Concerned," I repeat. "If we have to bring a weapon, then this is probably something dangerous. And I don't really want to be in another near death situation. I'm shouldn't be complaining though. It got me out of the house."

"Something wrong at home?" Steve quizzed.

"Yes. Well, not really," I decide. "I just got into an argument with my mom early, so I'm not too eager to be at my house right now."

"You and your mom got into an argument? I don't think I've ever heard that happen," Steve admitted. "What was the argument about?"

"Nothing. It's fine," I assure him. "Lets just see what Dustin needs."

"Are you sure? You're making it sound like the argument really upset you," Steve noticed.

"Thanks for caring, Steve, but seriously, it's okay. Pull over here. It's this one," I disclose and point to the upcoming house.

"All right then," Steve muttered and put his car in park. "Lets go see what this little freak wants."