Chapter Two: Vecna's Curse

Y/n's POV

"Sorry I'm late," I apologize as I rushed into Family Video, my mom driving away seconds later.

Robin waved me off. "You're good. Late night again?"

"No," I lie as I made my way behind the counter.

"Uh, yes," Robin opposed. "You spent the night at Steve's house, didn't you?"

"What? No," I fib, my cheeks heating up slightly. "I just forgot to set my alarm."

"Liar. You've got a hickey," Robin pointed out and tapped her shoulder. I looked over at my shoulder, and slightly below where it met my neck, a small reddish purple blotch was peaking out from under my shirt. I blushed and pulled my shirt closer to my neck, covering up the blemish instantly.

"Ugh. Sometimes I hate my boyfriend," I reveal.

"Whoa whoa whoa. You hate me? What did I do wrong?" Steve questioned.

"You did many, many things wrong, Steve. First, you didn't wake me up early enough, so by the time you dropped me off at my house, I barely had time to brush my teeth and whatnot. And second, you left a hickey where someone could see it! You know I hate when you do that. It's embarrassing," I confess.

"Oh shut up. The sex was great and you know it," Steve teased.

"Ugh," I groan and glance over at Robin. "Boys are impossible."

"Then lets talk about girls," Robin suggested. "At the pep rally yesterday, Vicki laughed at my joke. She laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like a real, genuine laugh."

"Well yeah. It was my Muppet joke," Steve noted. "It's hilarious."

I frowned. "Muppet joke?"

"I'll tell you later," Steve promised.

"My point is that Vicki laughed and everything was just perfect. But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say. But then I guess I get nervous, and the words keep spilling out, and it's like my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or rather my mouth is moving faster than my brain. I'm digging this hole for myself, and I want to stop digging. I'm trying to stop, but I can't," Robin rushed out and then stopped herself. "And I'm doing it right now, aren't I?"

"Yeah, you are," Steve confirmed. "But it's okay. I mean, Y/n's a rambler too, and I find it rather cute. Maybe Vicki thinks its adorable."

Robin gasped. "Y/n, you're a rambler?"

"Oh yeah. Big time," I verify. "Usually it happens when I get really passionate about something. Or someone."

"Like me," Steve butted in.

"Not everything's about you, Steve," Robin reminded him and turned towards one of the closest shelves. "Ooh. I think I found our morning movie. Doctor Zhivago."

"You know I don't do double VHS," Steve brought up.

"But it's about doomed love," Robin mentioned.

"Huh," Steve hummed. "Well, that's relatable."

"Precisely. Also, Julie Christie is bonkers hot in this. Like, seriously, the most beautiful creature I have seen in my life," Robin declared and turned on the TV, where a news story was airing.

"We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name of the student, but we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family."