Chapter 9

Athena pov

Last night I couldn't sleep. I can't help but cry,
I got up and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. When I got out of the bathroom, I sat on the bed again I saw my photo album under my side table

Seeing pictures we had together made my heart hurt. I miss them, I will miss them.

We had pictures the first day that they adopted me, school pictures, graduation, all the programs I was involved in, nothing they didn't go to, they always support me no matter how busy they are.
pictures during Christmas and new year, birthdays, you can see it in their eyes that they are happy that we are whole.

I thought I didn't care about them. But why am I hurting?

Last night I asked myself why my parents didn't ask me if I was happy with what they were doing. Maybe I should be the one who reached out to them? Ever since I didn't even try, I didn't open up to them, I didn't say that I don't want something like that, something like this. What if I should have voiced out?

I know they love me, they just have a different way.
They always thought I needed the best. But they also forgot that I also need to be happy.

I'm thankful mom, if you didn't encourage me in the lessons, I might grow old without knowing anything. I learned many things because of you. In music, instruments, the arts, dancing and singing, and even cooking, swimming, as well as different languages. I wouldn't have won awards at school if you didn't push me,

Thank you, dad, because of you I learned to defend myself, I know how to fight. and I learned to be strong physically and emotionally, I may be able to live independently.

I regret why I didn't see the good things you did for me. I was wrong, I should have reached out to you, I should have opened up about things. I wish we would be happier.

In my mind, I'm glad that you're gone. because I imprinted in my mind that you are bad parents.

I was blinded by anger.
I buried my love for you deep in my heart.

Now that you have both gone, my heart says otherwise. I love you mom and dad I'm still grateful for being your daughter.

I know it's too late.
I'm sorry mommy and daddy.
I love you and I will miss you.

The saying is true huh?
you will see the value of a person when they are gone.

*****

Nanang Elma's Pov

Mag aalas Diyes na ng Umaga hindi pa din bumababa ang alaga ko, akyatin ko na nga.

"Athena Anak, breakfast ka na" katok ko

"Wala po akong gana nanang"

"Papasok ako nak ah,"

Pagpasok ko sa kwarto niya nakaupo siya kama habang nakalagay ang photo album niya sa hita niya, magang maga ang mata niya, halatang kagabi pa siya umiiyak. Lumapit ako at niyakap siya. Ang alaga ko, akala ko bato ang puso niya.

"I thought I didn't care if I lost them, but it's painful" hagulgul niya sa balikat ko

"I hope I had talked to them before, I hope I had opened up to them, I hope I had told them that I loved them, I hope I had said that I was thankful, many hopes and thoughts are running through my mind"

"I thought being free from their hands will make me happy"

"But I was wrong, I should have talked to them. I know they will allow me if I say what I want because they love me"