Chapter 12

~Zita~

Mistake? A mistake?!?!? Does this kid have a rock for a brain or something? I stormed back to my room, ignoring the sharp, stabbing pain in my shoulder.

"Oh, hello, Zita!" Carol said, her back to me and holding something white in her hands. "I was just about to look for you!"

"What's that?" I asked, looking around her shoulder.

"This is your wedding dress."

She twirled around with it in her hands and it swept across the floor. It was absolutely stunning. Nothing less from Carol.

"It's beautiful." I gasped.

"Put it on! Put it on!" Carol whined.

I quickly stripped off my clothes and pulled the amazingly light and soft dress on. I stepped in front of a mirror and examined myself.

"Luckily, I knew you hated showing skin so I made long sleeves that cover the shoulders," Carol said as she patted my wound.. "I'm such a genius."

And a genius she was. The sleeves did cover my shoulders with delicate lace that looked like a spider had woven tiny flowers on them. The flowers ran from my arms to around the bodice, that made an illusion of an even skinnier waist, and around the skirt. The skirt flowed out, kinda like the dresses my mom wears, but the lace around it kept it from flying all over the place. The cloth was a strange white though. Every time I moved the cloth shimmered silver. It was absolutely stunning. I turned my back and saw it plunged down to just my lower back.

"This is just... wow." I said.

Carol smiled and nodded, tugging down on the sleeves.

"You look so grown up." she said.

It felt kinda weird being told that by a little kid but I knew Carol was a lot older than she looked. A lot.

"Thanks, Carol," I said, brushing her little curls. "This is really great."

She giggled happily and jumped around.

"But can I take this off now?" I said. "I'm not exactly comfortable with dresses yet."

"Fine, fine." Carol said as she rolled her eyes.

I pulled at the sleeves, which was pretty hard 'cause their like Chinese finger traps, and sighed with relief as everything else was off.

"Now, why don't you chill for a little while I go make some adjustments." Carol said.

"Adjustments? The dress was perfect."

"I'm just making it even more perfect."

Then she ran out the door as the dress fluttered behind her. I pulled on some shorts and a black t-shirt and looked for my phone. I needed some serious talking time. I punched in Lanny's number, almost breaking my cell in the process, and held it up to my ear as I heard the rings.

"Hello?" said an amazingly amazing voice.

"I need to talk to you," I said. "Come over my house?"

"Sorry, can't. Dad's drunk and I don't want him peeing in someone's yard again."

"How about I come over?"

"Um, are you sure? You did hear that my dad's drunk, right?"

"I'm fine. I've dealt with creepy people before."

The thought of Andrew's dad came into my mind and I shuddered.

"I guess it's okay." Lanny said.