Chapter 22

*Andrew*

"Ow!" I snapped.

"Sorry." Ani said, slapping a band aid on my cheek even though it'd heal by itself.

After Astreaus came and punched me, Ani suddenly decided to bounce in and save me. Zita calm him down and now we're in the kitchen, putting band aids on my face.

"I don't even know why yyou're helping her," Ani whispered to me, careful not to let Zita hear. "I mean, you don't even like her."

"Whoever said that?" I asked out loud.

"Well, you didn't need to. I could tell."

"I don't hate her."

"Um, is her me?" Zita asked, putting down her freshly made tea.

"Shut up!" Ani hissed. "God, you're so annoying!"

Instead of her bickering, she surprisingly shrugged and looked away. Ani didn't seem to have a problem with it and continued talking.

"You are going to hate her and you will."

"And who's gonna make me?"

"If you don't break off that little thing you guys have-"

"Whoa! Who said there was a thing?"

"Then i'll break us off."

She turned on her heel and stormed away. I glanced over at Zita but she didn't seem to have a care in the world.

"Gonna say anything?" I asked, testing her mood.

"Nope," she said, popping the 'p'. "Not gonna get involved in that little 'thing' you got there."

She flashed me a bright smile and sipped her tea. I pinched my lips together as a long silence stretched between us. I wished we were arguing. At least we'd have something to talk about.

"Still think you're girlfriend's innocent?" Zita smirked.

"I don't even know what to think." I sighed, leaning against the counter.

"Well, think of something to get that girl of your's back."

"Since when did you care whether I got my girl back?"

"Eh."

"Eh? Really? That's all you're gonna say?"

She shrugged and I swear I saw her eyes water.

"Are you okay?" I said.

"Yeah, i'm good. Why?"

"You seem... off."

"What, just cause i'm being nice I can't be normal? Is that supposed to mean something?"

"Sheesh, is everyone PMSing or something? What's with the snappy attitudes?"

She set aside her tea and crossed her arms.

"I'm not being snappy."

"But you are giving me attitude."

She looked at me with a straight face and rolled her eyes.

"I'm not giving you attitude." she groaned.

"Yeah, okay."

"Where's Lanny? I need him. I have some serious girl time with him."

"With me around?" I shook the chain. "I don't think that's gonna be very easy. I can try and not listen if you want."

I plugged my ears and grinned. She didn't smile back.

"Wish this chain was longer." she mumbled.