CHAPTER 10: EXPLANATION

The room is dimly lit, but Kharis can make out the large canopy bed sitting at the center of the space but against the wall, with a window and a small stool on each side, a chaise diagonally left to it. The fire pit is to the right with a giant sword sitting, and armor hung against the standing wood. In front of the fire is a round wooden table with three chairs. To the left are 4 large chests, two on each side with a door in the middle. The room only has necessities, which adds to its simplistic look.

Leonidas places her at the center edge of his bed, before heading to the door on the left

Leonidas places her at the center edge of his bed, before heading to the door on the left. Kharis watches him disappear behind it without a word, nervously rubbing her hands against each other on her lap.

Why did he bring her to his chambers? He could have ordered her to return to the slaves' quarters, and she would've obliged. Is it because she hugged him? Is he upset?

The creaking of the door snaps her out of her thoughts. She turns, making eye contact with him, only to look away as he is definitely upset though his eyes are no longer red.

Should she speak? No, he had told her earlier to shut up. Disobeying him after he had just saved her life would be rude and disrespectful.

He stands in front of her, while she desperately tries to look anywhere but at him.

"Why did you interfere?" comes his deep voice. Drawing her eyes back to him, she replies,

"They are knights, wearhs who are high-born. Killing them will only cause problems for you, My Lord."

When Leonidas does not respond, she opens her mouth again, "Are you alright, My Lord?"

Scoffing he replies, "You were the one attacked."

"I wasn't the one who used my hands, My Lord." Kharis reaches out slowly and touches his hands, bringing them up close for her to examine, but he snatches them away, filling his anger rising,

"Don't you ever interfere when I'm there, Kharis."

"Yes, My Lord."

"Knight or not, the decision is mine to make."

"Forgive me, My Lord."

"They would've killed you, and death is what they deserve."

"I thank you for your generosity, My Lord."

Groaning in annoyance, he says, "Speak freely, Kharis."

Looking up at him she replies, "I see no reason, no use at all for you to inconvenience yourself and kill your knights when you are aware of the repercussions. I am but a mere slave who may or may not be missed by her human companions, but though it isn't the latter, emotions of humans in this land are as good as emotions of plants, nonexistent."

Leonidas slams both his hands on either side of the bed, startling, but trapping her, their faces in compromising proximity.

"It's because of your scent."