CHAPTER 69: FALLING

The sound of glass shattering upon impact to the floor is heard in the Bethillorian castle. Oleander seems to be going insane as things are falling out of place. Everything in his path is causing him to bark out orders like a wild dog.

The advisors remain quiet as Oleander rips the painting that had been hanging on the wall for decades, and throws it to the floor.

"GARVANIA AND NYLAND ARE ATTACKING!" he yells, causing Advisor Nedial and Advisor Khan to flinch. Advisor Xander stands there, his eyes showing indifference.

"You said we had the upper hand," Oleander continues, stalking towards Nedial, who falls to his knees immediately.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty! In truth we had the upper hand, they had stopped attacking and the Garvanian-"

"They have both turned against us," Advisor Xander says, calmly watching the entire ordeal.

Oleander grabs Nedial's neck, cutting off the wearh's airflow.

"Y-your Majesty," he gasps.

"Killing your Advisor will do you no good as of this moment," Xander continues, causing Oleander to let go of Nedial, turning his attention to him.

"You find this amusing, Advisor Xander?"

"There is no hint of amusement on my face. I, however, am proud that I did advise you against branding Leonidas a traitor. Advisor Khan and Nedial on the other hand, branded me an enemy for my suggestion. Yet, here we are, with all my worries coming to fruition."

Oleander clenches his fist tightly, his teeth gnashing against each other as he heads to his throne, taking a seat.

"I will deal with the both of you later," the king says, addressing Nedial, and Khan.

"What do you suppose I do now, Advisor Xander?"

The wearh shrugs, "Unfortunately, Your Majesty, I am unsure of the option left on the table."

"What is it?" Oleander asks, his patience wearing thin.

"Advisor Nedial has said that Cassiel is protecting Lord Leonidas' manor with his own men. Which means that a good number of your army may be on his side. Unless-"

"Unless what? Out with it!"

"Unless we head out now to General Silas, and ask for all the troops to be released and stationed at Bethillore. So long as Bethillore itself remains guarded, you will not fall."

"THEN WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!"

"General Silas is loyal to Bethillore, not you, Your Majesty. Suppose the Knight Commander Cassiel has gotten to him first and convinced him-"

"General Silas would never want Bethillore to fall. Nedial, head there at once!"

"Yes, Your Majesty!"

Advisor Xander and Khan bow, walking out of the throne room, to allow Oleander room for his own thoughts.

***

"Where is Lord Leonidas?" Gisella asks Kharis later that night.

"I'm unsure. Since the announcement this morning, he's been with Princess Freya. I believe they are currently at the Garvanian castle. He did assure me that he would be back tonight."

Gisella nods, "I tried to talk with Sir Isaac earlier this morning."

Kharis nods, looking down at her hands, "I as well. I couldn't find the right words and just kept going in circles."

"We're mourning too."

"I know that, but Sir Isaac has known Esme more than we have. She was his friend first, and then became someone he wanted to hold even closer."