CHAPTER 14: LAST RESORT

Day ten, and Kharis' mission has remained unsuccessful. One thing is certain, that wearh knows how to hide. He certainly has the upper hand since he can smell her, but isn't this a bit...childish?

Staying locked up in your chambers or at the training fields because you do not want to face a human?

Kharis had been trying to work on her relationship with Arne, but never pushed herself. Esme had encouraged her to take her time, and if she felt unsure she shouldn't go out of her comfort zone. She chose that advice, after all, she had never given Arne any reason to think there would be something more.

The young woman is currently in the quarters having finished her bath. The ladies go silent, causing her to turn around.

Madam Ambrosia stands at the front, the woman crowding her, the look on her face one of discomfort as she says, "Choose amongst yourselves, five of you that will serve the generals at their meeting today. Hela will be here soon to inform you of your duties."

Blood drains from Kharis' face. The generals will be here today, it is too late.

"Kharis! Are you alright?!" Kharis turns to see Greta looking at her worriedly, Gisella right behind her.

Shaking her head, she takes her arm, "Greta, I need to get out of here now"

"What do you mean?"

"I cannot be selected to serve during the meeting, in fact, I need to hurry up before the generals arrive."

"Kharis calm down, all we'll be required to do is to serve them refreshments-"

"No, you don't understand. Hela will certainly select me if I remain here and I don't have time to explain so please just trust me!'' She cuts Gisella off.

Greta spots Hela from the window as she walks towards the entrance of their quarters.

"The window, quick!" Greta says pushing Kharis towards her bed, where a window conveniently sits.

"We're lucky we're at the very back but we can't risk anyone seeing you attempt an escape, leave that to me." Gisella says, earning a nod from both ladies.

"Go!"

Kharis opens the window, the same time Gisella begins flinging the large cloth she uses to bathe, to prevent any of the ladies from curiously turning towards them.

As Hela enters the quarters, Kharis jumps out the window, hitting the grass-covered ground. Greta shoos her with her hand, and the woman flees.

"I am sure Madam Ambrosia has told you what to do," Hela says, looking at the women who are gathered in the center.

"To make things easier, I have already selected two of you that will be serving, I need three more. Greta!"

Everyone turns to see Greta by the window, and Gisella holding her cloth. Hela squints at her, looking at the window to see it closed.

"You and Kharis. Where is she?"

"She's not here," Greta replies, walking forward with Gisella.

"I can clearly see that."

"She's still having her bath," Gisella adds, earning a look from the wearh.

"Before she gets back, I want three more chosen!"

Kharis runs towards the kitchens. There is no use looking for Leonidas, she needs to find General Cassiel, and there's only one person she can trust to willingly help her.

The woman ducks before anyone can spot her by the window. Taking a deep breath, she bows her head, and walks into the kitchen, earning looks from the maids and servants.